Abortion is an issue that in recent times, has become a huge topic of discussion. While many people believe that abortion is a right that all women should have, others believe that it is wrong and that anyone who gets an abortion is a baby killer. The stance that we have taken is pro choice because we believe that all women deserve to make a choice as to what they are going to do with their body.

In the research that we’ve done so far, we’ve found that 45% of all pregnancies were accidents or unintended. This means that many people may not want or be able to afford the child that they would give birth to if not allowed to get an abortion. Those children, whom many would end up in the adoption system, would likely start life out at a large disadvantage where there aren’t enough adoptions happening or homes fostering to keep them out of the state’s care.

Another problem is that children born into poor families don’t get the resources they need because the people that want to make sure no woman can get abortion often don’t believe in strong welfare programs. This means that as well as not having the right to their body, the women who would have gotten abortion would also be forced to exhaust their resources with almost no help from the people forcing her to keep the child.

Unwanted pregnancies aren’t the only reason why women get abortions; many women get abortions because the pregnancy could cause them harm. Not only could the mother have major health problems carrying the baby to full term, but the baby might also have major health problems. The child if kept would live a poor quality of life with these problems so to keep it would be cruel for the sake of being cruel.

We believe that it’s important for people to realize problems like this instead of looking at abortion in a black and white way. Abortion is not murder and is beneficial to many women. It is also important to the unborn child because it could prevent them from being forced to live a challenging and unfulfilling life.

Citations

Parenthood, Planned. “Considering Abortion.” Considering Abortion. Planned Parenthood, n.d. Web.

Parenthood, Planned. “What Facts About Abortions Do You Need to Know?” Planned Parenthood. N.p., n.d. Web.

“Unintended Pregnancy in the United States.” Guttmacher Institute. N.p., 05 Oct. 2016. Web. 28 May 2017.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Pro Choice is the Right Choice by Sarah is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.