The foster care system is a 454 year old system that consists of a caseworker, foster parent, foster kids, and a therapist (if needed). The goal for foster care is usually to reunite the child with the birth family: however, that may change to adoption for the child´s best interest. Despite the good intentions of the people behind it, the foster care system does not always do what’s best for the children in it.  The structure of the foster care system does not help minors because their basic emotional needs are not met, and the system does not connect minors with necessary resources and support. Better oversight and accountability from the government would help solve this issue.

Foster care is a temporary arrangement in which minors go into another adult´s care home when the minor´s parents can’t provide support for them physically and mentally. In 1562 the English Poor Law enforced the placement of poor children into indentured service until they became of age. Many children would have to work without pay until their service was done. Due to this practice many children were beginning to be placed in homes because they were at risk to abuse and exploitation (National Foster Parent Association). In 1853, Charles Loring Brace began the free foster care home movement because of the large amount of children sleeping on the streets of New York. 

“History of Foster Care in the United States.” National Foster Parent Association – History of Foster Care. National Foster Parent Association, n.d. Web. 08 Dec. 2016.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Foster Youth Wellness by Kmahjanay is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.