Food is the most important resource other than water for us, humans. We need food to survive through each day because food is the only thing that provides us with certain nutrients and energy for us to carry out everyday tasks. Unlike what we may think, people fall prey to hunger, which is caused by inequality of wealth, food policies, and climate.

Some of us may never think of food as a rare thing due to the fact that we, in developed countries, can just head to the supermarket whenever we want. The rest of the people, though, don’t have the luxury or money causing them to starve. Also, “we produce about enough food for about 10 billion people each year” (Eric Holt Gimenez). Despite this, each year, at least 6 million children fall to hunger (How Famine Works). This is absurd because this averages out to 17,000 children falling to hunger each day. If we were to include adults into this number, it would double or possible even triple this number.

One possible solution is revising food policies. The USDA “is working on reducing these numbers by adding new policies that will eliminate food waste” (Food Safety News). One policy the USDA created was making the food labeling process easier so that companies won’t have to discard the food with labeling errors but rather just fix the labeling. The next one was testing the expiration date of food and its condition, so it revises the expiration date to become longer, so it wouldn’t be thrown out too soon. Another policy is examining labels by inspectors or people of the food company. If they find out mislabelled labels, then, they could revise them and show that food lasts longer, so people wouldn’t throw good food out, wasting food.

Climate is a big factor in causing food inequality. Certain regions can’t uphold crops because their climate is too arid for agriculture. These regions have an extreme dry climate or dry season, along with a paucity of water. Also, some of these regions have winds brought from land, meaning that the wind never picked out any water on its path, bringing no rain, but dry winds, which can be seen particularly in Northern Africa. Other places face hunger also because of pests, which is technically considered part of the climate due to “the pests following climates, which affect the season” (Nuru). Like in Ethiopia, “swarms of locusts devour the rest of the crops that manage to survive” (Nuru). Based on these plagues, countries can barely produce food for themselves, leaving many people starving.

Many parts of the world are receiving an unequal distribution of food. This is caused by the inequality of wealth, which stems from a country’s ability to grow food. Growing food is the most basic part of a country’s economy then allowing industrialization because we need to have enough food to feed the work force (United Nations University). Without food, people can’t work because they don’t have the energy to do their everyday tasks. Without industrialization, there isn’t anything to sell, meaning no money, and without money, this makes the country not able to pay to import food, worsening the crisis overall. Developed countries have all of the money with corporate businesses and global monopolies, to having the tech and weather that make it really easy for them to provide food.

Food is essential for us, humans. A scarcity of food causes us to die in the masses, making it more lethal than disease or war. Despite its importance, people lack food because of their constrained economy; they don’t have the ability to grow food due to the climate and economy. Also, there’s an inequality of food between rich countries and poor countries. It’s going to be a long and arduous process, but through each effort made, we can fully stomp out hunger.

Works Cited:

Chandler, Adam. “Why Americans Lead the World in Food Waste.” The Atlantic. Atlantic Media Company, 15 July 2016. Web. 10 May 2017.

Gimenez, Eric Holt. “We Already Grow Enough Food For 10 Billion People — and Still Can’t End Hunger.” The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, 02 May 2012. Web. 10 May 2017.

Hamblin, James. “The Food Gap Is Widening.” The Atlantic. Atlantic Media Company, 02 Sept. 2014. Web. 21 May 2017.

“Industrialization: Effects on Agriculture.” Industrialization: Effects on Agriculture. United Nations University, n.d. Web. 10 May 2017.

“Key Statistics & Graphics.” USDA ERS – Key Statistics & Graphics. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 May 2017.

Liya Nuru 07/02/2014 18:20:00 19785. “How Is the Ethiopia Climate and Season?” Ethiogrio.com. N.p., 07 Feb. 2014. Web. 10 May 2017.

“The Unequal Distribution of Resources: The Food Crisis Explained.” Humanium Together for Childrens Rights. N.p., n.d. Web. 01 June 2017.

Toothman, Jessika. “How Famine Works.” HowStuffWorks Science. HowStuffWorks, 05 July 2011. Web. 31 May 2017.

“USDA Championed New Policies in 2016 to Reduce Food Waste.” Food Safety News. N.p., 21 May 2017. Web. 31 May 2017″Undernourishment around the World.” The State of Food Insecurity in the World. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 May 2017.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Causes of Hunger by Joseph is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Fritch 2 months ago

After seeing all of your threads Joseph, I was quite intrigued by the issue of world hunger, so I did some quick research just to see if there was anything I was missing. I knew many people around the world did not have enough food to eat everyday, and when I actually looked at the statistics and facts, and really thought about it, I realized how bad the issue really is. The number of hungry people in America alone is unacceptable and Im glad you are trying bring light to this subject.

2. Stasia 7 months ago

This is very thought out. I do agree that world hunger is a huge issue in the world. Many kids go to sleep without any food in there system and it’s very sad. I totally agree and appreciate your topic.

3. Abinaov 7 months ago

This was very well thought out. You used many in-text citations to show the various aspects of your topic and had each paragraph very focused on a specific aspect. I especially liked the paragraph that was second to last. I found it interesting how you related various countries lack of industrialization as a key part of why they struggle to feed their population.

4. Brandon 7 months ago

Joseph, I’m really impressed with all the research you were able to come up with. You offered solutions to the problem as well after doing good job initially of presenting the issue. You did a good job of citing your sources as well.