Some argue Mark Twin’s Huck Finn is a racist novel, while others argue it portrays the reality of the time in the South. Where do I stand? I believe that it is depicting the reality of the times. We cannot block out history and pretend it didn’t happen no matter how awkward it will make us feel. The things and actions written about in the novel did happen and there’s no censorship to it.  In the passage I will share Huck says Jim’s children belong to another man. This is seen as crazy in our times, but in those times it was the way life was lived.

“Here was this nigger, which I had as good as helped to run away, coming right out flat-footed and saying he would steal his children—children that belonged to a man I didn’t even know; a man that hadn’t ever done me no harm.”

(For class)

CC BY-SA 4.0 Race in Huck Finn by Patrick is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.