Gene Therapy is one of the many forms of applications of Genetic Engineering. Genetic Engineering is the act of enhancing on the trait in a living organism by modifying the genetic code. For example, we can enhance vegetation such as watermelon to be bigger or spinach lasting longer. As for Gene Therapy, it is instead focused on repairing and replacing the cells that cause a defect in the human body, defects such as diseases hurting the body or down syndrome.The idea of being able to cure many of diseases that are hurting or killing many people would be so ideal but with such great power comes with a risk. There is no easy process when it comes to gene therapy because of the fact that it requires so much precision. If new genes are not put in the proper place disasters like a tumor growing could happen. This treatment is still so new so it’s tough to foresee possible danger that may arise, although I may give it a chance if more and more research and trials continue to in this.

If there was a way to also make this treatment more affordable it would be able to save and cure more lives because at the moment it seems that only the rich will be able to get ahold of this treatment since this treatment cost so much money. In 2012 the first gene therapy was approved was Glybera and its price point was 1.4 million dollars which shocked many people because not many people would be able to afford a price point like that. Not only would this mean that only wealthy people can afford this treatment but if we put the power to cure diseases and disabilities and combined it with the power to enhance human quality it means that the government can get a hold of this power. With the power of science, we can have the power if done successful create an army of superhumans that surpass the average human limitation. Where do we draw the line to a power such as that? I think if we continue on with using gene therapy and genetic engineering there should be limitations on what you can do to control the human body. We already have regulations in place from the federal agencies monitoring gene therapy and its trials which are good but we need to make sure the federal government does not get greedy and use this treatment as a way to make strengthing humans instead of saving them.

In 2012 the first gene therapy was approved was Glybera and its price point was 1.4 million dollars which shocked many people because not many people would be able to afford a price point like that. Not only would this mean that only wealthy people can afford this treatment but if we put the power to cure diseases and disabilities and combined it with the power to enhance human quality it means that the government can get a hold of this power. With the power of science, we can have the power if done successful create an army of superhumans that surpass the average human limitation. Where do we draw the line to a power such as that? I think if we continue on with using gene therapy and genetic engineering there should be limitations on what you can do to control the human body. We already have regulations in place from the federal agencies monitoring gene therapy and its trials, such as Food and Drug Administration (FDA) that makes sure to monitor all gene therapy products and the National Insitute of Health (NIH) that focus on the safety of the gene therapy trials. We need to make sure the federal government does not get greedy and use this treatment as a way to make strengthing humans instead of saving them.

With the power of science, we can have the power if done successful create an army of superhumans that surpass the average human limitation. Where do we draw the line to a power such as that? I think if we continue on with using gene therapy and genetic engineering there should be limitations on what you can do to control the human body. We already have regulations in place from the federal agencies monitoring gene therapy and its trials which are good but we need to make sure the federal government does not get greedy and use this treatment as a way to make strengthing humans instead of saving them. Taken, Gene Therapy can be proven to be essential in saving the lives on those dying from diseases or facing disabilities that limit their life and opportunities. It’s a great chance to aid others as long as we can find a way to make this procedure more accessible then it would be life changing.

Taken, Gene Therapy can be proven to be essential in saving the lives on those dying from diseases or facing disabilities that limit their life and opportunities. It’s a great chance to aid others as long as we can find a way to make this procedure more accessible then it would be life changing. When stepping into the realm of human modification I think we should be very careful and not be swayed from the true goal of gene therapy which is to repair the function in the human body that is not acting the way it should be. I’m for saving more lives and giving them chances in Gene Therapy as long as it continues to get developed and improved.

Citations:

“Genes and Gene Therapy.” The Facts about Genes and Gene Therapy. N.p., n.d. Web. 29 May 2017.

“Is Gene Therapy Safe? – Genetics Home Reference.” U.S. National Library of Medicine. National Institutes of Health, 23 May 2017. Web. 29 May 2017.

“List of Pros and Cons of Gene Therapy.” OccupyTheory. N.p., 13 Apr. 2015. Web. 29 May 2017.

“Struggling with the High Cost of Gene Therapy.” Rare Disease Report. Ruth J Hickman, MD, and James Radke, Ph.D., 10 May 2016. Web. 29 May 2017.

CC BY-SA 4.0 My Stance on Gene Therapy by Nuong is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.