Simply fascinating. Imagine having full control of the genes of your children, different species to limit or give them characteristics you desire. That is Genetic Engineering.

“Genetically Engineering Almost Anything” written by Eleanor Nelsen and Tim De Chant opened my eyes to the world of geneticists. Think about it, Esvelt and Caplan are creating possibilities that could lead to genetically modify mosquitoes to either be less susceptible to malaria or have this endonucleas that could change the gene drive. The gene drive can be used to override the 50-50 chance of the gene being passed down and possibly eradicate malaria with a 100%. Crazy, but is it safe? These geneticists want to bring it to the public to see if there is acceptance of these studies. People are worried of the safety if it is put into the wild environment. Yet malaria medicines and vaccines are not helping as much. It is developing more quickly and in the article it states, “Church says. ‘We have a population of 7 billion people. You have to deal with the environmental consequences of that.'” If change is to happen, let’s start now.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Genetic Engineering by Mireya is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.