The great blue heron’s food sources are threatened in Yellowstone National Park because of disease, global warming, and rising temperatures. Efforts need to be made to raise awareness because the heron population is decreasing. I do understand that these birds are decreasing in numbers. In the 1950’s and 60’s, there was a significant decline of their population. Since 2006 the great blue herons have been decreasing about 1,500 birds according to Wetlands International. One reason they are not going extinct but are decreasing is that the adults are so large they have been working there way up the food chain and not so vulnerable to predators. The temperature has gone up about 1 fahrenheit. Since about before the 1980’s. This could definitely make these birds decrease. That is one thing I had noticed from my personal experience was that I have not seen any of the great blue herons at the Yellowstone National Park, but one other person has. You would thought that there was going to be many wildlife at the Yellowstone National Park, but there was many bison and antelope.

One thing I noticed was there was not many research on the great blue heron. For example, the great blue heron nests in colonies which means if something had distorted the herons it might have a bigger impact than just one blue heron. Great Blue Herons depend on wetlands for feeding and on relatively undisturbed sites for breeding, they are vulnerable to habitat loss and to impacts such as traffic, logging, motorboats, and other human intrusions that can disrupt nesting colonies. Simple things like this could raise awareness to the great blue heron. For example, most people assume that swamps are a gross habitat or that swamps and wetlands are the same. That is something that is confused numerous times. A swamp can be described by there ability to support woody plants and tree, whereas wetlands are significant to the ecosystem. The research would not only raise awareness to the people but it would also raise awareness to trying to help or fix the problem. One of the problems would be about how the great blue heron is decreasing but not going extinct. There are some other factors would affect this such as weather and other invasive species. When the habitat does change it also disrupts bird-breeding success. Wetland restoration is a successful way to produce habitat for some species. The fish have been affected by the global warming which would also affect the great blue heron too. One of the reasons would be there food sources are threatened also from global warming. As disturbances, such as global warming become larger and more frequent and occupied habitats become smaller and more isolated, the long-term impacts of landslides, wildfires, and drought become harmful to the consistency of salmonid populations.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Op-Ed Letter by Angel is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.