The foster care system can have a negative effect the academic performance of children in foster care. One child who moved between several different homes remembered the negative impact those moves had on his education. “I don’t even remember what I learned—no, let me rephrase that—I don’t remember what they tried to teach me—after fifth grade . . .It wasn’t until I had a stable home and was taken in by a loving family in tenth grade that I was able to hear anything, to learn anything. Before that, I wasn’t thinking about science, I was thinking about what I was going to eat that day or where I could get clothes. When I was finally in one place for a while, going to the same school, everything changed. Even my handwriting improved. I could focus. I was finally able to learn (The Atlantic).” This child named Jimmy Wayne was 12 years old and in his past he was not doing so well in school due to being placed in different homes instead of getting his education. Jimmy Wayne was barely in school due to his caseworker moving him from home to home and wasn’t getting his education until he was in a stable home. Jimmy Wayne demonstrates that being moved so much can interrupt education, and is a negative consequence of the foster care system. The system is supposed to be focusing on giving foster youth a better life but how can that happen if foster youth are moved so much?

Down below is a link to my annotations

https://via.hypothes.is/https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2014/02/every-time-foster-kids-move-they-lose-months-of-academic-progress/284134/

CC BY-SA 4.0 My research on the issue by Kmahjanay is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.