Genetic engineering is the process of manually adding new DNA to an organism. The goal is to add one or more new traits that are not already found in that organism. Examples of genetically engineered (transgenic) organisms currently on the market include plants with resistance to some insects, plants that can tolerate herbicides, and crops with modified oil content. In the nova article, it says how the new technology has the potential to wipe out diseases, turn back evolutionary clocks, and re-engineer entire ecosystems, for better or worse. In the article FDA, it says Intentionally altering genomic DNA is a process that includes, but is not necessarily limited to, the use of genome editing technologies or genetic engineering to introduce desirable traits into organisms.

#gutreaction

CC BY-SA 4.0 Kemonjie Smith Genetic Engineering: An Introduction by Kemonjie is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.