How did I get to P.U.L.S.E. High School?  I got kicked out of another school for getting into another altercation with another female. Even that school, Mott Haven was an alternative school just like P.U.L.S.E. It was a really good school, but I feel like P.U.L.S.E. was a better decision. I should have come to P.U.L.S.E instead of  Mott Haven. Before I went to Mott Haven, I was at Roosevelt High School. That’s where I started messing up in school.

I started to lose track of school during my freshman year around March when I got into an altercation with a group of girls. They were seniors. It was basically a freshman vs. seniors group of war. To be honest, it didn’t have anything to do with me, but I felt like I owed loyalty to my friend. Regardless who was wrong and right, I thought I should be there for them. Then I realized that they weren’t giving me the same friendship I was giving to them, and I distanced myself.

By tenth grade, it was already too late. It was the end of the year. I failed my classes, and in some way, somehow, they were the ones that were passing. That’s when I realized everything. I finally opened my eyes. Sophomore year came, and I had fewer problems, but Roosevelt wasn’t a good environment for me. Drama was always coming my way.

My counselor was there, and she told me: “Siree, you need to transfer. I won’t be here to look out for you next year. No one cares how you do in school. Only me, and I don’t want to leave you here.”

That’s when I decided to switch my school to Mott Haven Community High School and start over.  I was doing pretty good at Mott Haven. I made no friends, became closer to the staff, teachers, and my advisers till I got into a fight. I did get interviewed for P.U.L.S.E., but they didn’t accept me. The second time, I persuaded them, telling them that I am going to change, and I have changed! I learned not to trust people.

P.U.L.S.E. changed me completely. I came to P.U.L.S.E. barely caring about anyone or anything. I didn’t realize how much I was about to lose till the principal, Dr .Wiggins sat me down and had a talk with me. I came to P.U.L.S.E. with the mindset to have no friends, and I don’t have any. I didn’t come to P.U.L.S.E. to make new friends; I came to get my life together and graduate.

Now I’m currently a senior, and I will be graduating In June. I’m thankful to P.U.L.S.E. because of all these open opportunities and having a staff that is there for the students in this school and me.

CC BY-SA 4.0 My Journey by Siree is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.