I was raised in a small Montana town.  I have been taught that there are always going to be punishments for your actions.  I believe that whatever your action is will decide your consequence.  Many people have very different opinions and it seems like everyone has something to say about capital punishment.  Usually, there are two parts to which people believe.  Most people either believe that capital punishment should be enforced more and that any person who kills someone should have to be executed.  Some other people’s views are that capital punishment are that it is unconstitutional and goes against human rights.  I believe that if you kill a person, depending on your situation such as what degree of murder you have been convicted of, or what the case story is, will make your consequence.  

According to an article wrote by Adam Liptak, an editor for the New York Times, “For each inmate put to death, the studies say 3 to 18 murders are prevented.”  That is a pretty big number of innocent people who would die if these criminals don’t get their deserved punishment.  I think that more of the public really needs to be aware of these statistics and what they mean.  Just reading some of these numbers could really change a persons mind about what they believe when it comes to capital punishment.  Personally, there is quite a bit someone could do to educate just the general public about capital punishment.  I think that just informing people of some statistics about how many murders are prevented if a criminal were to be executed would be beneficial.  Also, If the person was for capital punishment, it wouldn’t hurt them to know some of the statistics also.  

Thee is something that’s not quite right in the mind of a murderer.  Something is wrong with them; they are not just people, they have issues.  Well, everyone has issues but the issues of a major criminal are a lot bigger.  There is a huge risk of the safety of the public when a murderer is not executed.

There however is a percent of innocent people that are convicted of murder.  According to the Huffington post, there is an article written by Michael McLaughlin who is a crime and criminal justice reporter stating that there is more than 4% of inmates put to death that are probably innocent.  Samuel Gross, who is the lead author of the study and a professor at the University of Michigan Law school stated “the purpose of our study is to account for the innocent defendants who are not exonerated.”  The article says that of the 7,482 death sentences handed down from 1973 to 2004, of that group 117, or 1.6 percent were exonerated.  Here’s where things get interesting.  According to the article, more than 200 prisoners would have been cleared during those three decades.  That is a lot of people who would have had their sentences dropped.  

In conclusion, I would like the people of America to be educated about Capital Punishment and know facts about it.  I feel that it is very very important for the public to be aware that their safety is at risk here.  I can only wish that people might come to their senses one day regarding capital punishment and feel the need to change their views or at least understand where the other side is coming from.  As we are only worried about the safety of the people of this great country, America!

CC BY-SA 4.0 Capital Punishment by Maggie is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Profile photo of Lauren
    Lauren 4 days ago

Hi Maggie,
    Great post! I totally agree with you that more people should be informed about statistics about Capital punishment before creating views on it. It took a lot guts to address such a controversial subject and I think you did a great job with trying to include both sides of the argument! Nice job!