I was raised in a small Montana town.  I have been taught that there are always going to be punishments for your actions.  I believe that whatever your action is will decide your consequence.  Many people have very different opinions and it seems like everyone has something to say about capital punishment.  Usually, there are two parts to which people believe.  Most people either believe that capital punishment should be enforced more and that any person who kills someone should have to be executed.  Some other people’s views are that capital punishment are that it is unconstitutional and goes against human rights.  I believe that if you kill a person, depending on your situation such as what degree of murder you have been convicted of, or what the case story is, will make your consequence.  

According to an article wrote by Adam Liptak, an editor for the New York Times, “For each inmate put to death, the studies say 3 to 18 murders are prevented.”  That is a pretty big number of innocent people who would die if these criminals don’t get their deserved punishment.  I think that more of the public really needs to be aware of these statistics and what they mean.  Just reading some of these numbers could really change a persons mind about what they believe when it comes to capital punishment.  Personally, there is quite a bit someone could do to educate just the general public about capital punishment.  I think that just informing people of some statistics about how many murders are prevented if a criminal were to be executed would be beneficial.  Also, If the person was for capital punishment, it wouldn’t hurt them to know some of the statistics also.  

Thee is something that’s not quite right in the mind of a murderer.  Something is wrong with them; they are not just people, they have issues.  Well, everyone has issues but the issues of a major criminal are a lot bigger.  There is a huge risk of the safety of the public when a murderer is not executed.

There however is a percent of innocent people that are convicted of murder.  According to the Huffington post, there is an article written by Michael McLaughlin who is a crime and criminal justice reporter stating that there is more than 4% of inmates put to death that are probably innocent.  Samuel Gross, who is the lead author of the study and a professor at the University of Michigan Law school stated “the purpose of our study is to account for the innocent defendants who are not exonerated.”  The article says that of the 7,482 death sentences handed down from 1973 to 2004, of that group 117, or 1.6 percent were exonerated.  Here’s where things get interesting.  According to the article, more than 200 prisoners would have been cleared during those three decades.  That is a lot of people who would have had their sentences dropped.  

In conclusion, I would like the people of America to be educated about Capital Punishment and know facts about it.  I feel that it is very very important for the public to be aware that their safety is at risk here.  I can only wish that people might come to their senses one day regarding capital punishment and feel the need to change their views or at least understand where the other side is coming from.  As we are only worried about the safety of the people of this great country, America!

CC BY-SA 4.0 Capital Punishment by Maggie is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Brock and Hunter 3 months ago

Dear Maggie,

After reading your post are group agrees with you that inmates who commit a serious crime should face the death penalty. You made a great point when you included the research from New York Times “For each inmate put to death, 3 to 8 murders are prevented.” If we give murderers a second chance it would most likely put the public in danger and they would also get in more trouble if they ever got out. Studies show that people with mental health issues like murderers never will get back to normal even with therapy. When inmates get out they are stuck with a rough life, they probably won’t have money and go back to the streets where they will get in more trouble. Putting the death penalty on inmates will cause less murders because they know that if they commit a serious crime like that they will face the death penalty. In our research we found that the government spends tons of money on the inmates to house and feed them. If we set them on the death penalty then we can save money by not feeding them and this can help save the government money. A counter claim for this could be if someone is mental and want to commit suicide they might want to take people down with them and the death penalty wouldn’t be a punishment to them. This counter claim is weak because it will most likely keep people from commiting murder because they will be afraid of the death penalty. To wrap things up, without a doubt, the statistics overall show that the death penalty should be in affect.

Brock and Hunter

Work Cited

“What’s New.” DPIC | Death Penalty Information Center, Death Penalty Information Center, 16 Apr. 2018, deathpenaltyinfo.org/

“Death Penalty – Amnesty International USA.” Amnesty International USA, Amnesty National, http://www.amnestyusa.org/issues/death-penalty/.

“Death Penalty ProCon.org.” Should the Death Penalty Be Allowed?, deathpenalty.procon.org/.

2. Jonathan 3 months ago

Dear Maggie,

We read your post and the death penalty is a really hard topic. We have come to the conclusion that we are in the middle. We are equally for and against the death penalty. We see your view of being for the death penalty and we aren’t exactly against you but we’re also not for the death penalty. We agree with your fact, “According to an article wrote by Adam Liptak, an editor for the New York Times, ‘For each inmate put to death, the studies say that 3 to 18 murders are prevented.’”. We have also found some of our own evidence that kind of counteracts your argument, and some evidence that supports your argument. According to Steven G. Breyer, the death penalty is unconstitutional. The relevant legal standard is the standard set forth in the Eighth Amendment. “The Constitution there forbids the 'inflict[ion]' of 'cruel and unusual punishments.' Amdt. 8.”, states Steven. You can’t blame victims and their families for wanting revenge because they will want to make “justice” but there are laws that prevent that from happening. Also, death by a state is wrong, but you probably didn’t know that is is potentially worse than killing by an individual. On the other hand, the death penalty made some people feel safer because another murderer is off the streets forever. People who have committed a crime have to pay for it, and if the crime is bad enough, then they have to pay for it, and that could be getting put to death. This is in a way justice, making them pay the price that they deserve. After researching and looking at all of the evidence, we are still in the middle on if the death penalty should be allowed.

Jackson P. and Jonathan

“Top 10 Pro & Con Arguments – Death Penalty – ProCon.org.” Should the Death Penalty Be Allowed?, 9 Dec. 2016, deathpenalty.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=002000.

3. Jonathan Acuna 3 months ago

Dear Maggie,

Jackson P. and Jonathan

4. Sophia 3 months ago

Dear Maggie,
    After reading your post, our group disagrees on your ideas on capital punishment. However you did bring up valid points, like your statement “what degree of murder you’ve been convicted of.” We agree with this particular statement because no one should be punished with the death penalty if it was a simple mistake. Nonetheless we still have a strong stance of disagreement towards this argument. We believe that life is important and it shouldn’t be stripped for any reason. The issue of capital punishment is unconstitutional and could be considered a cruel and unusual punishment. According to Legal Information Institute “the punishment violates the Eighth Amendment’s prohibition against cruel and unusual punishments.” We agree with this statement because it shows that the constitution protects us from capital punishment but it still continues. Although people who commit murder should have a high punishment, but they should not have their lives taken away. Others may argue that if you take a life you should get your life taken away. Over all you had good information to backup your claim, but it didn’t change our beliefs on the stance on capital punishment. Unlike how you were raised in Montana, we were raised to cherish people’s lives no matter the circumstance.

Sincerely, Sophia and Lili

5. Christina and Nikkie 3 months ago

After reading your post about Capital Punishment, we agree that it should be kept and used. You made an interesting point about future actions being prevented by enforcing the death penalty. When you stated in your post that, “‘For each inmate put to death, the studies say 3 to 18 murders are prevented.’” This furthers the fact that, people are receiving protection from the death penalty because these statistics point to the fact that more murders would occur if the death penalty was not put into place. Not to mention, the morality of the murder is important to the victim’s family, because it gives them a sense of justice and reassurement. On Death penalty.procon.com, it states, “…to sentence killers like those described above to less than death would fail to do justice because the penalty – presumably a long period in prison – would be grossly disproportionate to the heinousness of the crime.” With this you are bringing Justice to the family. Furthermore, reprisal is important to keep in mind. According to deathpenalty.procon.org, “We have the responsibility to punish those who deserve it, but only to the degree they deserve it … And we reject over-punishing no less than under-punishing.” Which points to the fact that the people given the death penalty have done such a massive capital crime that they rightfully have earned the death penalty given to them. Additionally, the cost of death is something that inmates take very seriously, as their actions may fulfill the needed requirements to receive a death penalty. For instance, deathpenalty.procon.org states, “The existence of the death penalty as a possible sentence leads to guilty pleas that save the money spent on trials and limit the opportunity for appeals.” Which then is important to realize, that having the possibility of receiving a death penalty can cause inmates to change the way they think, while also realizing the amount of negative impacts that their actions have brought to families and the world. Although, you could argue that some people that are given the death penalty are innocent because of conditions they acted under. Some people do have diseases that affect their mental brain health that could make them lose control. For example they could have schizophrenia, which causes, “a severe mental disorder characterized by some, but not necessarily all, of the following features: emotional blunting, intellectual deterioration, social isolation, disorganized speech and behavior, delusions, and hallucinations.” according to dictionary.com. However, this is a weak argument because they still committed the crime and are still a danger to the public. All in all, each piece of supporting evidence has lead to the fact that capital punishment can be of benefit to our world and society, though it may cause some controversy, it is important to note that this may be the best choice to better the future of our nation.

Christina and Nikkie

Work Cited

“Top 10 Pro & Con Arguments – Death Penalty – ProCon.org.” Should the Death Penalty Be Allowed?, 9 Dec. 2016, 2:19:47 PM PST, deathpenalty.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=002000.
    Carroll, Heather. “Serious Mental Illness and Homicide.” Treatment Advocacy Center, Treatment Advocacy Center, http://www.treatmentadvocacycenter.org/key-issues/violence/3627.
    “Schizophrenia.” Dictionary.com, Dictionary.com, http://www.dictionary.com/browse/schizophrenia?s=t.
    Maggie. “Capital Punishment.” Youth Voices, National Writing Project, 19 May 2017, http://www.youthvoices.live/2017/05/18/capital-punishment-4/.

6. Christina and Nikki 3 months ago

Dear Maggie,

After reading your post about Capital Punishment, we agree that it should be kept and used. You made an interesting point about future actions being prevented by enforcing the death penalty. When you stated in your post that, “‘For each inmate put to death, the studies say 3 to 18 murders are prevented.’” This furthers the fact that, people are receiving protection from the death penalty because these statistics point to the fact that more murders would occur if the death penalty was not put into place. Not to mention, the morality of the murder is important to the victim’s family, because it gives them a sense of justice and reassurement. On Death penalty.procon.com, it states, “...to sentence killers like those described above to less than death would fail to do justice because the penalty – presumably a long period in prison – would be grossly disproportionate to the heinousness of the crime.” With this you are bringing Justice to the family. Furthermore, reprisal is important to keep in mind. According to deathpenalty.procon.org, “We have the responsibility to punish those who deserve it, but only to the degree they deserve it ... And we reject over-punishing no less than under-punishing.” Which points to the fact that the people given the death penalty have done such a massive capital crime that they rightfully have earned the death penalty given to them. Additionally, the cost of death is something that inmates take very seriously, as their actions may fulfill the needed requirements to receive a death penalty. For instance, deathpenalty.procon.org states, “The existence of the death penalty as a possible sentence leads to guilty pleas that save the money spent on trials and limit the opportunity for appeals.” Which then is important to realize, that having the possibility of receiving a death penalty can cause inmates to change the way they think, while also realizing the amount of negative impacts that their actions have brought to families and the world. Although, you could argue that some people that are given the death penalty are innocent because of conditions they acted under. Some people do have diseases that affect their mental brain health that could make them lose control. For example they could have schizophrenia, which causes, “a severe mental disorder characterized by some, but not necessarily all, of the following features: emotional blunting, intellectual deterioration, social isolation, disorganized speech and behavior, delusions, and hallucinations.” according to dictionary.com. However, this is a weak argument because they still committed the crime and are still a danger to the public. All in all, each piece of supporting evidence has lead to the fact that capital punishment can be of benefit to our world and society, though it may cause some controversy, it is important to note that this may be the best choice to better the future of our nation.

Christina and Nikkie

Work Cited

7. Lauren 1 year ago

Hi Maggie,
    Great post! I totally agree with you that more people should be informed about statistics about Capital punishment before creating views on it. It took a lot guts to address such a controversial subject and I think you did a great job with trying to include both sides of the argument! Nice job!