I decided to share one of my journal entries from a while back. I really like this part of the reading because it is when I started gaining hope in Huck’s inner heart. The quote is from chapter 8: “No! W’y, what has you lived on? But you got a gun. Oh yes, you got a gun. Dat’s good. Now you kill sumfn en I’ll make the fire”

I like this part because it feels that Jim and Huck are working together. I think that is really important because it shows Huck has a heart and so does Jim. This shows a self conflict for Huck. In this time of American History, it is not normal to care and work as an equal with a slave. So the fact that Huck takes everything for a face value at this time is very beautiful, and it must foreshadow things for later. My questions are how long will their friendships last, and does Huck view and care for Jim as an object or person now?

Photos by Jiaren Lau,

CC BY-SA 4.0 The Beautiful Part of Huck Finn by Ben is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.