The quest for freedom is a major theme in this story. Jim is escaping slavery in hopes of becoming a free man. Huck is fleeing a terrible situation at home. Both of them are escaping nightmare lives in the desire to be free. In both cases they have people oppressing them. In Jim’s case however he is enslaved where as Huck was only oppressed. The actions of the characters shows that they will not stand for the oppression imposed onto them.
By escaping their horrible situations their taking a stand to fight to be free from their oppressed situations. Based on their circumstances and the actions that the circumstances bring out of Huck and Jim, you can tell that they are very similar characters in their desire to be free and what they will do to be free. Based on the circumstances you can also tell that they are in very similar situations. On page 26, Chapter 6, “Then he went down on all fours and crawled off, begging them to let him alone, and he rolled himself up in his blanket and wallowed in under the old pine table,still a-begging; and then he went to crying. I could hear him through the blanket.” This quote from this early section in the story to start the book shows the oppressive environment that they’re in. It shows you what kind of oppression was going on in the society at the time in this book. The story makes one think deep about how deeply oppressed they were when you look at the great lengths that they went to to escape the oppression. Their perseverance demonstrates the will and strength that both Jim and Huck had to escape the oppression that they were previously living under in order to be free.Photo by Boston Public Library

CC BY-SA 4.0 Huckleberry Finn Discussion Based On Freedom Writing Prompt by Paul is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.