Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain is a great example of freedom I say this because Huck and Jim are both running from society and their community. They are both trying to escape from oppression from others. Huck is running from his family who abused him and Jim is trying to escape from slavery and is a runaway slave. They are both running away from there predestined life. They don’t want to live the life they were chosen. They are both trying to change their destiny in general. Both Huck and Jim are being oppressed from society norms. The ways they are different is Huck is running from his drunk abusive father. While Jim is running from a life in a prison of never ending work; slavery. Huck is a white teenager boy so his problems are different from Jim but that doesn’t make it less important. They are both on a journey where they don’t know will or how they will end up. I feel Mark Twain is trying to make people feel it’s okay to be the one person to go left when everyone else is going right. Also that it’s okay to be different and that you can change your destiny. A quote in the book “Huckleberry Finn” that I feel strongly relates to freedom is “We would sell the raft and get on the steam boat and go way up the Ohio amongst the free states and then we would be out of trouble.” (Twain 75) The reason I feel this relates to freedom is because it talks about escaping from one’s life and starting somewhere new. Overall both Huck and Jim just want another chance at a life they never got. They didn’t choose to have a drunken abusive dad or to be born into slavery, it was predestined.

CC BY-SA 4.0 The Chance at Freedom by Destiny is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.