Huck is the protagonist in the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Huck is a thirteen-year-old boy born in Petersburg Missouri. Huck rejects society and does want to live the normal civilized life that everybody tries to have in society. Huck proves this by saying this to Aunt Sally “I reckon I got to light out for the territory ahead of the rest, because Aunt sally she’s going to adopt me and civilize me, and I can’t stand it. I been there before.”(Twain 260). This proves that Huck does not want to live the ordinary life that society has set in stone. Huck wants a life where he is responsible free and able to do whatever he pleases. The whole book is centered around Huck growth as a human being and being able to grow a conscience. Huck is motivated on what he thinks is the right thing to do for example when Huck and Jim go from town to town stealing fruit he feels bad that they are stealing so he justifies his actions by putting some of the fruit back. This shows that since huck can justify that he is stealing fruit and putting some back that it is the right thing to do but in reality stealing anything at all is a wrong thing to do. Huck has the biggest impacted on Jim because there were so many times in the book where Huck saved Jim from being caught like when a group of men wanted to look at the raft to find runaway slaves Huck and Jim by making up a story saying his dad was on the raft with smallpox. The group of men kindly didn’t want to look at the raft anymore. Huck Finn is an interesting character to observe in growth but I do not like the overall character because at the end I didn’t feel like Huck learned anything with the time he had spent with Jim. what I’m trying to say is that Huck would own slaves of his own if he had the choice. I feel that the only reason Huck see Jim as a human is because Jim and Huck have gone through so many hardships so Huck can see that Jim is a human but Huck why not apply that to other African Americans.

Where do you see Huck in 10 years?

will he become more knowledgeable?

Do you think Jim and Huck will ever unite again and go own new adventures?

What do you think happened to the Duke and King?

CC BY-SA 4.0 Analysis of Huck Finn by Quan is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Cole 7 months ago

Great Post however I agree with Dinakar, throughout the story he is still not wanting to be civilized. What he has grown up around is what he knows. The ending is also him just leaving and again not wanted to be a civil person. He definitely has grown and the way he makes decisions just not the decision that he has made to not be civil.

2. Dinakar 7 months ago

Nice job! I really believe you have strong points in this article. I loved the fact that you incorporated evidence that really strengthens your point. But I do think that Huck does not accept society as the story goes in. He continues to have the same attitude towards the world and the people. He does befriend a slave but I do not believe that changes the fact that he chooses to neglect society. As we look at the end of the book he just leaves. Without really a proper goodbye he realizes how much he does not belong and wants to leave. But, I can see it from your point of view and there are definitely two sides to this argument. You can make a point from both sides. Overall, great job

3. Eric 7 months ago

I disagree with your analysis. I feel that Huck’s attitude towards society has not changed at all throughout the journey. What he sees as he goes down the river is that people are terrible, and he sees many terrible aspects of humanity, violence, with the feud, greed, with the con men, gullibility, with the people being conned, and religious hypocrisy. At the beginning of the book he wants to leave society because he views it as oppressive. At the end, he actually leaves and goes out west. I think that Huck will either become someone living alone out on the great plains, or die on his way there. As he is completely ignoring society and not seeing anything good about it, his views will not change and he will remain stuck in his ways. Jim and Huck will not meet again, as Huck is leaving society and Jim is trying to integrate into it, as a free man. The Duke and the King will most likely keep up their cheating ways until they are caught and lynched.

4. Evan 7 months ago

Great Post Quan! I agree with a lot of the points you brought up in your analysis. I too think that the book revolves around Huck’s moral growth away from societal norms. I would push you to consider this though: Based on the ending how much has Huck grown since the beginning of the book? I think since he rejects the institution of civilization in both the beginning and the end he still contrasts societal norms, but I do think he has developed a sense of right and wrong based on his own perceptions. Although Huck has grown morally I think he will still become a slave owner down the road. I think ten years from the end of the story Huck will settle down in a remote location and begin a plantation with slaves. I think the end of this book is not only the end of Huck’s learning but also of his relationship with Jim. Although they became friendly with each other I think they will go their separate ways. As for the Duke and the King I think they were finally caught and lynched for working over towns down the Mississippi River. I would ask this though, what will happen to Tom?