Entry 1: April 28, 2017

NOTICE
“Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot” (NOTICE)

Twain in the Notice used the satire technique known as verbal irony to start off this book. Verbal irony is when someone says something but means the exact opposite and this is what Twain does. He told his readers that there is no plot, or no big picture to the book when in reality the big picture is what makes the book and Twain controversial. Using verbal irony, Twain established a sense of comedy that sets the tone for the rest of the book. It almost implies that the use of comedy or satire will be seen throughout the rest of the book.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Mark Twain’s Language by Kait is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Hadley 7 months ago

Hi Kait,
    I didn’t even think to analyze this. I’m really glad you brought this to my attention because it is humorous and I think that it was a great way for Twain to start this book because of the verbal irony sets us up for the tone of the rest of the book.

2. Sejal 7 months ago

I agree with this, when we first picked up the book this opening “notice” was entertaining because I knew that the reason we were reading it was because of the complex plot and big picture. This section does show Twain’s great writing with literary devises.