Huck Finn is the main character in the story, Huckleberry Finn by Mark twain. He’s thirteen, is short and has brown hair. Readers learn right off the bat that he is very adventurous, but is very logical at the same time. Huck is very young, but being quick on his feet and :fair” gives him an advantage. Adventuring and living on the edge seems to describe Huck’s personality when looking from afar but, at the beginning of the book he is looked at as a follower of Tom Sawyer, instead of doing his own thing. He believes that whatever Tom Sawyer says goes and assumes everything he does is right. On the river when he’s alone and independent of Tom, Huck lies and steals things to survive. I believe that Mark Twain created Huck to represent the problem of morality in this book, not just with slavery, but many other issues presented hidden between the lines. Whether it’s the family feud, slavery or the issue of an innocent man being shot. At first I wasn’t a huge fan of Huck, he seemed like another young boy to me who just didn’t know the world yet and just wanted to act like he did. However, when Huck played a joke on Jim typically he wouldn’t have felt any remorse and would’ve went along with it, continuing to make Jim feel like it was all a dream and they really never were separated. Huck’s conscience then gets the best of him and he says,  “…but I done it, and I warn’t ever sorry for it afterward,  neither. I didn’t do him no more mean tricks, and I wouldn’t done that one if I’d ‘a’ knowed it would make him feel that way” (Ch 15 Pg 78). This quote was a pivotal point in the book for huck’s character growth, and I started to grow fonder of him because of this. Morally he was realizing that Jim being a slave doesn’t change the way you should treat him. Overall I believe Huck is the most important character in this story and his character growth, as well as the morality symbol he represents should be one of the highlighted parts when analyzing this story.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Huck’s Moral Compass by Melaina is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Emily 7 months ago

Melaina,
    This moral compass piece if Huck is very well written. I agree 100% with you on the idea that Huck was created to be a representation of a poor moral compass. I also think that the quote you integrated in your text shows how huck really grew as a character.

2. Jason 7 months ago

This was very well written and I love how many examples you gave. You used them to show how Huck represents different problems in society that are found between the lines. You gave a clear picture as to what Huck looks like and how he acts as a young boy. I think this is great work! Good Job!