The topic of climate change has been in the headlines around the world. It continues to be a controversial issue with some supporting and some denying its existence. George W. Bush once stated, “Some of the scientists, I believe, haven’t they been changing their opinion a little bit on global warming? There’s a lot of differing opinions and before we react I think it’s best to have the full accounting, full understanding of what’s taking place.”  Bush is saying that before we decide if we support or deny the existence of climate change it’s best to gather all the viable information that we can.

According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, “Earth’s average temperature has risen by 1.5 degrees fahrenheit over the past century, and is projected to rise another 0.5 to 8.6 degrees fahrenheit over the next hundred years.” Rising global temperatures could have a horrible impact on our environment in more ways than one. Rising temperatures may also be accompanied by changes in weather and climate which could have contributed to one of the worst fire seasons on record. According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, “the majority of greenhouse gases come from burning fossil fuels to produce energy, although deforestation, industrial processes, and some agricultural practices also emit gases into the atmosphere.” If climate change can really have such a large impact on our environment, we need to stop or limit the burning of fossil fuels.

According to NASA, “97 percent or more of actively published climate scientists agree: Climate-warming trends over the past century are extremely likely due to human activities.” That fact alone is convincing enough for many people to believe in climate change. The current warming trend is of particular significance because most of it is very likely caused from humans and is warming faster than it has in the past 1,300 years. Ice cores were recently drawn from Greenland, Antarctica, and tropical mountain glaciers, from the information they gathered they confirmed that Earth’s climate responds to changes in greenhouse gas levels.

The idea that Earth is sensitive to greenhouse gases is confirmed by many lines of scientific evidence. Climate change is a growing problem.  If these claims and evidence are true the possibility of climate change existing is something to strongly consider. Everyone should make it their duty to make an informed decision with regards to climate change. If we don’t do something to stop the progression of climate change our world could end as we know it.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Climate Change by Dylan is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.