“Next day he was drunk, and he went to Judge Thatcher’s and bullyragged him, and tried to make him give up the money; but he couldn’t, and then he swore he’d make the law force him.”

This quotation sets the stage for Huck’s life. Being a good parent is doing an array of things. There is not a single, perfect definition to being a good parent. However, there is a set of broad adjectives that model what being a ‘good’ parent is. Some of these adjectives include being loving, caring, kind, competent, knowledgeable, selfless, inspiring, optimistic, passionate, outgoing, ambitious, etc. These adjectives may be broad, however, none of them are broad enough to incorporate the actions described in this quote. This sets the stage for Huck’s life because it portrays a foundation for what his father is like and how Pap obviously struggles with alcohol. Pap’s alcoholism can take a negative toll on Huck’s life overall in the fact that Pap is suppose to be a positive role model for his son and portray reason and wisdom that can be installed in Huck. By Pap’s behavior being so heavily influenced by alcohol, Huck is confiscated of his opportunity to gain valuable lessons from his father that many kids with none alcoholic fathers may be able to obtain.

CC BY-SA 4.0 The importance of a Father figure by Alma is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.