,

quote: “Next day he(Pap) was drunk, and he went to Judge Thatcher’s and bullyragged him and tried to make him give up the money; nut he couldn’t and then he swore he’d make the law force him.”

Huck’s father has a history of alcoholism. incidents like this prove that Pap is persistent and rude when drunk. Pap’s hard mannered approach to Judge Thatcher shows how negative of an influence he is for Huck. A Father’s job is to lead by example, love and care for his kids and going off on Judge Thatcher does not show a positive example that Huck can model after. This scenario sets the stage for future outlashes that Pap may have because it shows a history of Pap’s struggle with alcohol.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Huck Finn dialectic journal by Alma is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.