Recently within my photography class, my classmates and I have been learning how to take portraits. We have been furthering our understanding by getting connected with photographers within our city. We had two photographers come into our class and talk about what they do to take portraits, such as lighting and how to set up your background and how to make you subject the center point. They were Angie Monson and Skip Schmiett.

Monson taught us how to take photos that are both light and that tell a small story. She taught us how to interact with our subject so that they aren’t rigid. She also told us that she loved natural lighting and that she only used artificial lights if she had to. I liked he photography style because you could tell that the people in her photos were actually enjoying themselves and makes it so all her subjects feel beautiful.

Schmiett taught us about lighting and different ways that it can change the way people view your subjects. He taught us different phrases for explaining the lighting and also different poses that would work for different kinds of people so that you can get the best look for your subject. He is very talented in centering the subject, but also their interests and importance within each photo, and still making the photo look simple. Here’s an example:

Both photographers were very insightful when it came to photography. They showed us examples within their own photography and both did little photo shoots that gave us in the moment examples.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Connecting with a Local Photographer by Sara is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.