This project was assigned to my class, the purpose for it being to see our programming skills when making an animation where the viewer is allowed some interactivity with the animation. The interactivity in the animation is the following: by choosing a short story where the main character makes a clear moral decision between only two options, the viewer is allowed to choose what decision the main character will make and see how that decision plays out.

The short story I chose is titled, “The Young Thief and His Mother,” by Aesop, a story about how the consequences of a mother not reprimanding her son for stealing as a young child leads to him being executed as an adult. The reason I chose this story is because due to the original decision and original outcome both being simple in theory, I was able to have my own creativity show when I was making the outcome of the alternate ending.

During the process of making this animation, I decided to divide my work process based on which section I was working (the context to set up the moral decision made by the main character a.k.a. Act I, the outcome of the original decision a.k.a. Act IIA, and the outcome of the alternate ending a.k.a. Act IIB). This made the process of programming the animation significantly easier.

This project as a whole was really enjoyable because I got to learn more about viewer interactivity through the process of animating a story that had caught my interest.

Here is the link to the script I used in making this project!

Below are the Storyboards made on StoryboardThat to assist in making this project:

Below is the actual Scratch animation I made!

CC BY-SA 4.0 The Young Thief and His Mother Remixed by rakisultan is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.