,

“It was fifteen minutes before I could work myself up to go and humble myself to a nigger- but I done it, and I warn’t ever sorry for it afterwards, neither. I didn’t do him no more mean tricks, and I wouldn’t done that one if I’d a knowed it would make him feel that way.” Pg 81

At this point in the novel, Huck has just upset Jim by teasing him. But, instead of thinking the Jim deserved it or that he doesn’t deserve better, Huck goes back and admits he was wrong. You can see Huck really changing his opinion about Jim here. Huck is starting to see him as more than just a slave and more as a person who deserves to be treated with respect. The barrier of skin color is decreasing between Huck and Jim. There is now a deeper understanding between the two of them which could prove beneficial to Jim in the future.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Thoughts on Huck Finn by Zahra is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.