Have you ever wondered if you could switch bodies with someone? Well, now that can happen. Sounds crazy, right? Italian neurosurgeon Sergio Canavero , announced he will conduct the first human head transplant.

So, how will this futuristic transplant even work? The answer is not that complicated. From what is known, the bodies will first be cooled down so that the cells don’t die. Then, the necks of both people will be partly cut, and the blood vessels and arteries will be joined. After this the spinal cord will be cut, and  the heads will be stitched. Using Polyethylene glycol the spinal cord will be fused together. To prevent any further damage, the body will be put in a coma for several weeks until everything is fused back together. In theory, the patient will have a new body.

This transplant it highly controversial because of all the high risks. However, I still believe that we should go ahead and do this procedure. This is because this transplant may save countless lives, and change many too. Also, this transplant was very successful when it was tested on mice and monkeys, and the next step will be people. It’s worth the risk. Humanity needs to move forward, technology will improve and science will also improve. this will lead to make the transplant safer. Until then, we should take our chances and do with this futuristic transplant.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Surgery of the Near Future. by Sharmin is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Karishma 5 months ago

Dear Sharmin:

I am interested by your post, “Surgery of the Near Future,” because it talks about how our future technology can improve and how life is becoming easier as we go on in life because of the science that people are exploring and what people are doing.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “To prevent any further damage, the body will be put in a coma for several weeks until everything is fused back together.” I think this is important because it shows that the procedure is safe and that people are trying their best to do the procedure without causing any harm to the human body.

Another sentence that I found interesting was: “This transplant it highly controversial because of all the high risks. However, I still believe that we should go ahead and do this procedure.” This stood out for me because it shows that some people think that this procedure will be unsuccessful and it will harm a person’s body. Yet, you think otherwise showing a counterclaim between what your argument of a successful procedure is, and what isn’t a successful procedure.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because how interesting and important your topic is. Your writing is very details and it helps me understand the topic very well.

2. Elsie 5 months ago

Dear Sharmin:

I am surprised about your post, “Surgery of the Near Future,” because it is about such a to-be impactful new innovation. Switching bodies with someone was really never imagined possible before, and the fact that it is now is really amazing.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “In theory, the patient will have a new body.” I think this makes the impressing effect, because it dawns on the reader, wow, people can change bodies now. That’s crazy.

Another sentence that amazed me was: “ Italian neurosurgeon Sergio Canavero , announced he will conduct the first human head transplant.” This stood out for me because it is bewildering that it is really going to happen now! Not a theoretical thing in testing anymore.

I don’t completely agree with you that it is a procedure that should be encouraged, though. One reason I say this is I do not see how lives would be saved. If you switch a sick body or something with someone else, it would just save you and give them the problem! Another reason I disagree with you is it would take so much more study to make it completely safe, and I think we should be using the time for other cures and things.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because this is a really cool type of topic!

3. Vasha 5 months ago

Dear Sharmin,
    Your post is not only informative but also interesting because it shows the # of lives this subject affects.
    One sentence that stood out to me was “This transplant it highly controversial because of all the high risks.” because you are acknowledging the other side of this topic. Now I know all sides to the story and have a opinion while knowing all the information. Thank you for writing and shining a light on this topic.

4. Srewashi 5 months ago

Dear Sharmin:

I am happy with your post, “Surgery of the Near Future,” because it talks about a significant issue that will affect numerous lives in the future, if not in the present.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “This is because this transplant may save countless lives, and change many too.” I think this is important because no matter how risky the procedure might be, the result will benefit lives, causing a huge change in the world.

Another sentence that I admired was: “To prevent any further damage, the body will be put in a coma for several weeks until everything is fused back together. In theory, the patient will have a new body.” This stood out for me because it shows how the patient will still receive proper care and will begin a new, prosperous life.

I do agree with you that the transplant will benefit others and should be done One reason I say this is because if people will be happy and relieved with a new body and mind, there should not be anyone stopping them. Another reason I agree with you is because technology will always be improving so the risks will decrease as time passes by.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because your writing is very useful and clear to understand.