Over time, more schools are requiring students to wear uniforms. Teacher, parents and students have argued over whether or not it should be required. I have been required to wear a uniform for the past few years, however, I do know what it is like for it not to be mandatory.

Uniform has made mornings a lot easier for me. It is less stressful knowing what to wear the night before or when you’re running late. Uniforms save students a lot of time in the morning because they won’t waste time deciding what to wear. Schools that have uniforms have better attendance rates.

But, uniforms restrict the student’s freedom. Students won’t be able to express themselves. Not being able to express yourself limits the student’s creativity. The way you dress in the real world affects your future. However, it is also harder to enforce school uniforms in the upper grades, since some students dislike them. I speak from experience when this is said, because in one of my past schools, many students disliked uniforms. Students can express themselves through clothing, but having uniform restricts that.

In my opinion, both sides have pros and cons. It is up to you to decide.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Should Schools have Uniforms? by Riddhi is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Isabella 5 months ago

Dear Riddhi,

I am intrigued by your post because whether or not to have a school uniform is a very controversial topic. have always had one view on this topic, however, you have got me to think about the opposing side. I do agree with you that uniforms are not very helpful because of the fact that they don’t allow students creativity to fly. Although, I do understand why some students find having a uniform easier to handle. One thing you said that stands out for me is: “Uniforms save students a lot of time in the morning because they won’t waste time deciding what to wear.” I think this is interesting because I never did think about how much time it takes up to think about what you are wearing. Uniforms may be able to put off that extra time you spend in the morning, and that way, you may not be late as you may be when deciding for 15 minutes about what to wear in the morning. Thanks for your project. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because although I do stand with my original side, I was able to think about positive points that you brought up, and I think that with controversial topics like these, both sides need to be brought up.

2. Anwesha 5 months ago

Dear Riddhi:

I am interested by your post, “Should Schools have Uniforms?” because this is a topic that many people argue about.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Schools that have uniforms have better attendance rates.” I think this is inaccurate because you said that they would have to spend less time meaning that it shouldn’t be attendance rates, it should be rates showing if student were on time.

Another sentence that I was confused with was: “However, it is also harder to enforce school uniforms in the upper grades.” This confused me because you didn’t explain why it was harder.

Your post is good its just that you didn’t fully/thoroughly explain your ideas. There are a lot of good ideas that are left un-analyzed.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because this topic is a very common but interesting topic. Maybe next time you should discuss your own opinion and analyze more.

3. Fiona 5 months ago

Dear Duckling AKA Riddhi,

I am, I will not lie, a bit annoyed by your post because everyone should be able to find a way to express themselves and for some people that way just happens to be clothes. I don’t believe that schools have the right to limit outfits because in a way it is limiting a students speech. I feel comfortable to know that I stand out in a crowd and that I don’t blend in with every one around. Although you agree with this you seem to take the opinion that getting dressed in a way that shows how you feel is not worth getting up 10 minutes earlier for and this I disagree with.
      One thing you said that stands out for me is: “Uniforms save students a lot of time in the morning because they won’t waste time deciding what to wear” .I think this is sad because if someone is serious about the message they want to convey through their out fit they wont mind the extra time no matter how long it takes, because clothes are something that really matter to some people. And I know this might sound vain or conceited but I care how people think of me and if they believe I care about my appearance. 
      Your post reminds me of something that happens to me. I chose my outfits depending on my moods and if I’m feeling sick I might wear a t-short and jeans and people notice and ask me if I’m okay because I’m not in my normal vibrant colors. When I’ve had a tough night or I have cramps or I’m just feeling insecure altogether, I like to dress up all fancy and get complimented on how nice my dress looks or how snazzy my shoes are. sometimes getting complimented on an outfit makes my day. When I’m feeling insecure about myself or something that happens I wake up in the morning and I WANT to take the time to decide whether or not to stand out or blend into the crowd and that’s my choice and I like having those options. I know that if I wanted to I could dress up in a homemade skirt and a vibrant Hawaii t-shirt and no one would judge me because that was how I was feeling that day. Whether the outfit took me 2 seconds or the better part of an hour it would still be worth it all the same.
      Thanks for your project. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because although I disagree with you, you chose interesting topics and I respect that.

4. Khan 5 months ago

Dear Riddhi, I agree with your opinion of school uniforms by your article, Should Schools Have Uniforms, because it shows why people should wear uniforms but it also has a rebuttal. Also, it tells what was on my mind by telling that students feel suffocated in school uniforms and want express their feelings and emotions with their clothes. One sentence that stood out to me was “But, uniforms restrict the student’s freedom. Students won’t be able to express themselves.” This stood out because it tells that people should express their freedom with their clothes. Another sentence that was unique is “Uniforms save students a lot of time in the morning because they won’t waste time deciding what to wear.” This stood out because it is a fact and it is very true. I agree with you that students should be able to express themselves with their clothes. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because i am intrigued by your article and i like the facts and truth.

5. Srewashi 5 months ago

Dear Riddhi :

I am content with your post, “Should Schools have Uniforms?,” because it provides both reasons/arguments on the pros and cons of wearing uniform to school. This topic is a major topic being discussed throughout the world and I’m glad to know your perspective on this issue.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Students won’t be able to express themselves. ” I think this is significant because each student is different. Clothing is one way to view and comprehend a student on their personality.

Another sentence that I admire was: “Uniforms save students a lot of time in the morning because they won’t waste time deciding what to wear. ” This stood out for me because I have experience! Some students tend to worry a lot about their appearance and want to look their best. in order to accomplish their want, they tend to be late to school.

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time I was running late to school because I did not plan what I was going to wear the night before. Therefore, my consequence was that it took me an additional 10 minutes to get ready and so I was late. This caused em to miss my regular bus and train. However, I have learned my lesson.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because your writing is extremely clear and understandable. I really like how you showed your perspective in both way on this topic. Your writing is interesting and I love reading it!

6. Isabelle 5 months ago

Dear Riddhi, I am intrigued by your opinion/stance on uniforms as I thought you would be apposed rather than for. Wouldn’t you rather express yourself though your clothing and what you are feeling instead?