Nowadays, you can enter into a rich neighborhood supposedly like Lenox Hill or East Side of Manhattan without an endorsement for tobacco products in sight. However, tobacco companies take advantage of this by heavily endorsing their product in poor, and, believe it or not, black neighborhoods. Although this case may seem to just get attention, this is a serious matter. “Cigarette smoking is responsible for more than 480,000 deaths per year in the United States, including more than 41,000 deaths resulting from secondhand smoke exposure. This is about one in five deaths annually, or 1,300 deaths every day. On average, smokers die 10 years earlier than nonsmokers (CDC.gov).” 

Although people are reckless with their own health, they also undermine the effect on others including kids, just passing by, walking on the streets slowly lingering his/her death as they are exposed to the smoke. Now, how is this profiling? Tobacco companies are very strategic as they are attempting to endorse this local commerce near the world’s population of young people and near the black population, especially in America. Due to the fact that these goods are endorsed near the black people, most smokers appear to be black. This is profiling but can be rebelled against if people don’t fall into this trance. As tobacco companies would say, ” We don’t smoke [it], we just sell it. We reserve that right for the young, the poor, the black and the stupid.”

CC BY-SA 4.0 Profiling Neighborhoods with Tobacco Products by Samin is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Fiona 7 months ago

Dear Samin,

I am, interested in your post because of the fact that many neighborhoods are not as safe as we would like to believe yet it is still mostly minorities getting targeted. Your article is true about many things and I feel as though you bring up many valid points.
      One thing you said that stands out for me is: ” tobacco companies take advantage of this by heavily endorsing their product in poor,” I think this is sad because these are exactly the people who cant get help with their problems.
      Your post reminds me of something that I read. One time I read an article about how Brooklyn when the “Bloodiest” borough in New York ad over sixty percent of the victims are African American. This brings to light how many parts of the world even here in New York people still haven’t gotten rid of prejudices that lead to more violence and rugs in areas of minorities.
      Thanks for your project. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you seem to have good opinions on very controversial topics… Hope to be hearing more from you soon 🙂