According to Google, music is “vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion.” Step forward, modern “cool” rap. Brusque curse words for pointless, PG-13 subjects- so much “beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion!”

Music is auditory art and art is expressive of a story, message, or feeling. Come up with a creepy and really weird story or message, make a poem that overuses poetic license out of it (with a very protuberant beat), and you’ve got a “cool” rap song! But, who can say most aren’t catchy? Oh, how things evolve.

Its popularity is very plausible- no judgment to those who really like it! I am simply expressing my personal stereotypical-grandma-like opinion of the music type.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Music!! Music? by Elsie is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Sharmin 7 months ago

Dear Elsie,

I am intrigued by your post because it shows the evolution of music. Also, it shows the difference between the stereotypical music and modern music. One thing you said that stands out for me is, “Music is auditory art and art is expressive of a story, message, or feeling. ” I think this is interesting becauseI never really viewed music in that way.Thanks for your project. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because they seem interesting and they show how things change over time.

2. Lidia 7 months ago

Dear Elsie:

I am interested by your post/, “music!! music??,” because you are taking in consideration the fact that over the years music has changed a lot, One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Brusque curse words for pointless, PG-13 subjects” I think this is important because it shows how you feel the way music has changed doesn’t show it’s real meaning.Another sentence that I found was: “Its popularity is very plausible- no judgment to those who really like it! I am simply expressing my personal stereotypical-grandma-like opinion of the music type.” This stood out for me because you are right since people always have different opinions. I don’t fully agree with you that rap music has a rough and brusque sound with no harmony. One reason I say this is because rap music can change the way you look at things. Another reason I disagree with you is because rap music uses cursing and words to show how strongly he/she feels.Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you’re writing is interesting and has different point of views.