You can’t go wrong with food. You like it and I like it. More importantly, it’s necessary to sustain most organisms on earth, providing energy for everyone, and as humans, we all have a special flavor we enjoy. Despite this, many people are starving everyday, and it’s not exclusive in developing countries with dictators. It occurs even today in our country. Not only do I care about having dinner every night, but I wish to change the food supply.

People need food to live. Food contains organic molecules like lipids, proteins, and carbs that fuel our bodies, providing energy for our daily activities. Then, people have certain tastes and cuisines that they are accustomed to. Through this, people are able to obtain these necessities of living through tastes and flavors people like.

There is a lot of food in this world. According to the Huffington Post, we grow enough food for 10 billion people. That’s 1.3 times bigger than our current population at 7 billion. Despite this, why do we have famine in developing countries? It’s because of climate in certain regions, inequality of wealth, and inequality of food supply, and I want to change at least the inequalities that inhibit people from eating.

Certain places can barely sustain crops, like in Ethiopia. They have an extreme dry season that withers most bodies of water up. Climate their also includes dry winds coming from Central Asia, instead from the Arabian Sea and Gulf of Aden, bringing a paucity of rain. Also, “swarms of locusts devour the rest of the crops that manage to survive” (Nuru). Based on these plagues, countries can barely produce food for themselves, leaving many people starving.

Inequality of wealth stems from a country’s ability to grow food. Usually, growing food is the most basic part of a country’s economy then allowing industrialization because there’s enough food to feed the work force (United Nations University). But without food, people can’t work because they have to invest time to work for themselves. Without industrialization, there isn’t anything to sell, meaning no money. Without food or money, this makes the country not able to pay to import food, worsening the crisis overall. However in developed countries, they have all the money with corporate businesses and global monopolies, also having the tech and weather that allowed great amounts of food to allow these industries.

Why don’t the wealthy countries just donate food to the poor countries? Most of the developed countries are based on the market economy, and giving out free food would devastate the market. Therefore, according to the Atlantic, in order to keep their economic prestige, they can’t donate food to the poor countries. This makes the people of the undeveloped countries starving even more. Despite being affluent, developed countries also produce “Too much food, causing it to be cheaper than other places in the world” (The Atlantic). Too much food for a population also means that there’s excess food, and excess food not eaten causes it to be thrown out in the name for the economy, when there are hungry people.

Food is essential for us. Everyone needs it to survive and live another day. However, many people, especially in economically constrained countries, don’t have the ability to grow or obtain food. Also, there’s an unequal distribution of food with the rich ones possessing large quantities of food, while the poor countries having nothing. I wish to change food supply so that everyone in the world can have at least one meal everyday.

Works Cited:

Chandler, Adam. “Why Americans Lead the World in Food Waste.” The Atlantic. Atlantic Media Company, 15 July 2016. Web. 10 May 2017.

Gimenez, Eric Holt. “We Already Grow Enough Food For 10 Billion People — and Still Can’t End Hunger.” The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, 02 May 2012. Web. 10 May 2017.

“Industrialization: Effects on Agriculture.” Industrialization: Effects on Agriculture. United Nations University, n.d. Web. 10 May 2017.

Posted By: Liya Nuru 07/02/2014 18:20:00 19785. “How Is the Ethiopia Climate and Season?”Ethiogrio.com. N.p., 07 Feb. 2014. Web. 10 May 2017.

CC BY-SA 4.0 I Want To Change The Food Supply by Joseph is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Kesang 7 months ago

Dear Joseph,

Your message is truly shocking to realize. All of this food that we Americans have somewhat take it for granted because we underestimate the privilege we have of being from a family that works and have 3 meals a day or even more. Your post sounds directed to everyone especially to teens because there are so many of us it makes sense that at least we can come together and create a group to help these people have a meal a day. I sincerely agree that we take food for granted and that something should be done about this issue even if it takes a large amount of time.

2. Jada 7 months ago

Dear joseph,
    I deeply agree with your article. A lot of food in America goes to waste, while in other poor countries food is not easily accessible to them. Peopke should donate more to the poorer countries, and this shouldn’t even be a problem. Something that interests me was: “Why don’t the wealthy countries just donate food to the poor countries?” This shows something that can be done to tey and change the system.
    Thanks for writing and i look forward to hearing more from you.

3. Andrew 7 months ago

Dear Joseph I consider this to be a serious issue as I would hope most do, but sadly there is no way to help the people of the world. Quite frankly, this issue is one of those that reminds you that sometimes, the world is a depressing place with difficult problems that have no solution, and that just upsets me. I am deeply saddened by your article purely because starvation is a serious issue, and rich, and even middle class people in wealthy countries like the United States gorge themselves on more food than necessary, issues like this give me a daily dose of pessimism, because, they just exist and there’s nothing we can do about them.

4. Riddhi 7 months ago

Dear Joseph:

I was intrigued by your post “I want to change the Food Supply” because it is a different topic that is very complex. Hunger has been a big problem in our world and I wanted to hear what you had to say.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Why don’t the wealthy countries just donate food to the poor countries?” I was surprised by this line because it seems like an easy solution to a complex problem.

Another sentence that I found was: “Therefore, according to the Atlantic, in order to keep their economic prestige, they can’t donate food to the poor countries. ” This stood out for me because if food was easily shared between countries, the economy would be disturbed. A new solution would be needed for Hunger.

I do agree with you that a new system is needed, because there are still hungry people in the world. It would be very hard to make sure the entire population gets food, and a lot of changes would need to be made.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because maybe a new solution will arise to change the system.

5. Alba 7 months ago

David,
    I was impressed with your post “I want to change the Food Supply” because I realize how much food is wasted in America, while other countries don’t have a lot of food.

I agree with you that it is important for all people to have a good amount of food, because everyones health is very important, and food helps provide that.

Also I would like to offer a different idea. If countries that have a great amount of food that ends up being wasted stopped producing so much extra that just ends up being thrown out, they probably would have enough money to donate to other countries, like you said.

Thank you for provided an interesting perspective on the topic of food supply!

6. David 7 months ago

Dear Joseph

I am surprised with your post, “I Want To Change The Food Supply” because I am not sure how well you understand your own post. Most people in wealthy countries eat way more than they should, and if they ate what was recommended, they would be very hungry everyday. In addition, food cannot be simply distributed, there is a lot of time, workers and money that goes into that.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Also, there’s an unequal distribution of food with the rich ones possessing large quantities of food, while the poor countries having nothing. I” I think this is controversial because It would cost millions of dollars to charter all that food, and much of it would go bad. A

Another sentence that I was confused with was: “Why don’t the wealthy countries just donate food to the poor countries?” This stood out for me because This doesn’t make any sense because wealthy countries would not only have to pay for food, but ships, people manning those ships, packaging, and hundreds of thousands of dollars in small fees. In addition, some people’s bodies need more food, or are simply used to the excess of food

I don’t wholeheartedly agree with you that you can change the system. However if food was magically distributed evenly that would be awesome, but that is something of a fairytale

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you may consider my comment and want to write a counterclaim on how you could change the system.
    – thanks david