When gender equality is discussed, the discussions lean towards ideas that will help women be recognized as men’s equals. However, in many other parts of the world, women are seen as inferior to men and are punished for doing/saying things that a man is considered to have every right to say/do.

Some women around the world are not allowed to do things that a man can do, such as going to school, having a job, and in some areas being able to show themselves to the world. Some girls are married off at young ages to a man much older, and are sometimes treated badly enough to end their life. Not being able to project their feelings outward due to gender makes them explode inside themselves, believing life has no purpose. All it will take to end this is opening one’s ears to these girls, giving them an education and a voice that equals those of a boy.

Supposedly, women are equal to men in America. Although they are seen as equals through the eyes of the whole nation, negative stereotypes and myths about women have remained, like the comment that ‘running like a girl’ means running in a silly manner. Women must stand up for themselves to achieve the equality they always yearned for.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Gender Equality by Lesley is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Humaira 5 months ago

Dear Lesley :

I am overjoyed about your post, “Gender Equality,” because it is completely true. It is believed that men and women are equal, but your post shows how in society it still isn’t quite true.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Some women around the world are not allowed to do things that a man can do, such as going to school, having a job, and in some areas being able to show themselves to the world.” I think this is true because there are still third world countries where women are still unable to do what people in the first world country consider to be a right.

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. When I was younger my parents had always told me things like “only boys do that,” which I think is completely wrong. These things tended to be sports and such.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because this was super informative.

2. Samin 5 months ago

It seems as though you believe that work inequality is an issue in the U.S. Do you believe politics has anything t do so with this? Or do you believe this is due to the leadership present in our nation today?

3. Irene 5 months ago

Hey Lesley, I wrote about gender equality too and I absolutely agree with you about the not-so-equal gender equality that is shown in the U.S. today. As you mentioned, women should definitely stand up for themselves for equality, such as equal pay in the workforce as men.