Equal pay in the workforce is important to me, because I think this is one of the various aspects of gender equality. It is important that women receive an equal wage at work, because lower earnings make it harder for women to take care of their families, and it’s simply not fair. After researching about this issue, I learned that women in the United States earn around 80 cents for every dollar men earn, which doesn’t make any sense to me, because payments should be based on the experience and skills rather than gender. I decided to write about this topic, because my aunt who is a single mom raising two kids on her own is having a difficult time providing all the basic needs for her family, including food, education, and child care. According to the Institute For Women’s Policy Research, the increase in wage would “reduce levels of poverty for single mothers by over 50 percent and the income would rise by 13.4 percent.”  If there is no wage gap, my aunt wouldn’t have to work 24/7 harder than men to support her family, and I think the equal pay would definitely help her and other single moms in the U.S. As I research this topic, I notice that this issue has faded in our society as time goes along, but I hope this issue will soon be brought about. I would like to research more about this issue, because I believe that women have the same ability to support their families with fair and equal wages.

Sources

https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/women/news/2009/01/15/5476/six-reasons-why-equal-pay-is-still-important/

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/04/pf/equal-pay-day-gender-pay-gap/

CC BY-SA 4.0 Equal Pay For Equal Work by Irene is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Fay 7 months ago

Dear Irene,

When I read your post I felt empowered as another fellow female because my mother also talks to me about the unequal pay among women and men. You are right when you say “As I research this topic, I notice that this issue has faded in our society as time goes along, but I hope this issue will soon be brought about.” My peers constantly tell me that this isn’t an issue and that everyone gets equal pay for their equal work. However that is simply false.

Your post reminded me that some people come up with excuses and say that because I am a girl I find this a huge problem. But in actuality, women are only starting to gain their equal rights. Less, than 100 years ago women were still not allowed to vote. Women have to work twice as hard as men just to earn the same pay.

Thanks for your post. When people like you bring up important issues like this it makes me feel more confident as a female in this society.

2. Jason 7 months ago

Dear Irene,
    You did a great job at explaining your feelings on the subject of equal pay and your thoughts as to how it needs to be better addressed in today’s world. I think that this issue has started to decline and not be as common of a thing. We see more and more that women are holding higher positions and being payed more. I still think there is more of this to improve on but in my opinion this is a problem that is being worked on and does not come into the thought of managers when hiring and selecting pay.

3. Munshi 7 months ago

Dear Irene:
    I agree with your belief that every one should be paid the same amount for the same amount of. Just because of some ones a man or women should not affect there amount of income. Because the two are still doing the same amount of work.

4. Lesley 7 months ago

Dear Irene:

I am inspired by your article, “Equal Pay For Equal Work,” because seeing how women are viewed as inferior to men in such an obvious way makes me want to change how the world views them and give them the equality that they have been wanting for so long.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “I learned that women in the United States earn around 80 cents for every dollar men earn, which doesn’t make any sense to me, because payments should be based on the experience and skills rather than gender.” I think this is unfair because this is not what equality represents. If someone takes a test to get a job, the one who gets the job should be the person who is best suited for the job itself, which is what you are explaining. Women getting less money than men despite working as hard as they do is preposterous.

Another sentence that I reflected upon was: “I notice that this issue has faded in our society as time goes along.” This stood out for me because many people believe that feminism isn’t needed, but all of these issues surrounding money and other things proves that people do need to learn to respect women.

I strongly agree with you that women should get equal pay to men and should be seen as equal to men. One reason I say this is if women don’t get paid enough, as mentioned in your article, they can’t support their families, plunging them and their families into poverty.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I find this topic very crucial and interesting and the way you presented it made it more so for me.

5. rakisultan 7 months ago

One thing that you wrote that stands out for me is: “I notice that this issue has faded in our society as time goes along.” I think the reason for this is because of the oppression women face in modern society. Others may argue that the oppression women face in developing countries is worse than what people in developed countries, which causes for this issue to fade into the background because women fear being further isolated or oppressed for being “selfish.” However, just because the oppression women face in developing countries is worse, it does not mean it is any less or more important because demeaning women in general just makes the situation worse in the struggle for gender equality.