Why do people prefer to text instead of talking face to face? People choose to text instead because they are scared of showing feelings and of not being able to hang the conversation. When talking over text you are able to not respond over a couple of hours or days. If the conversation becomes awkward people can just skip to another topic because people are not face to face. When talking face to face people are scared of losing the other persons interest. People have bad communication skills that do not allow us to hold a conversation for a substantial amount of time.

Talking has become a chore that nobody wants to do. People want to be able to speak to someone without the awkward pauses. Millennials only want to text because it is easy to use and you are able to pause and think about what you want to say next instead of having to think of things to say on the spot. However, texting makes things you say impersonal, people can misread the tone you use or they could misunderstand what you are trying to say.

Although texting is much easier because you can use abbreviations and voice recognition when talking face to face you are able to understand what they person is saying using emotions. Texting has become a necessity that everyone uses. According to openmarket.com 75 percent of millennials has chosen texting over talking. So when we ask ourselves why we have become slaves to our phones it is because we are influenced by the people around us and what the world has become. We like to text because it is easy and with people having short attention spans we are able to leave a conversation without it seeming rude or hurtful.

CC BY-SA 4.0 why do people prefer to talk over text instead of talking in person? by Katerina is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Julian 7 months ago

Dear Katya:

I am intrigued by your post, “Why do people prefer talking over text instead of in person,” because you included actual information to support your claim. What you wrote is actually relevant is true.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Although texting is much easier because you can use abbreviations and voice recognition when talking face to face you are able to understand what they person is saying using emotions.” I think this is true because words on a screen have no emotion as you have in person.

Another sentence that I read was: “Talking has become a chore that nobody wants to do.” This stood out for me because it is also true. I wouldn’t want to talk to my mom when I could text her.

I don’t agree with you when you say that texting doesn’t have emotion. One reason I say this is because although it may just be words, many authors can write passages an books, and even though those books are just words on paper, they can give a sense of emotion to the reader. Another reason I disagree with you is because emotion doesn’t have to be used with a tone. Writing an inspirational text has a tone as well.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because your thought process was really intriguing. I would like to see more discussions about relevant topics, like texting, etc.