Sports are activities that involve physical exertion and movement, typically where two different teams compete against one another for the win. There are a variety of sports all around the world, some major sports are soccer, basketball, baseball, and football. “Minor” sports would be some small sports that aren’t known as worldwide as the major sports and activities that a group of people made up for entertainment. I love sports because they are entertaining, energizing, and brings out my competitive spirit that gets me going! Sports have a positive side in which the heart’s strength increases, physical strength (such as arms, chest, legs, and back) increases, and health levels decrease (meaning risk of obesity or other bodily diseases caused by types of food and fat). Sports also have a downside, such as receiving injures (both fatal and not fatal).

Sports have an amazing effect on the body. Soccer for example, spurs on the eye and foot coordination skills, speed and strength. This not only benefits health, but also benefits our real-life skills. Our strength would provide us a larger capacity of breath, helping us on our runs anywhere, maybe even special conditions like asthma, clogged nasal passage, sinus, and other breathing conditions. Some mental benefits are self-confidence and stress relief. Some people with amnesia would benefit from this effect, having the ability to sleep better than the last time he or she slept. Physical benefits also include an improved posture (meaning seated and standing position) which helps out on blood circulation throughout the body and thought processing. “I think being a part of some kind of team or organization gives kids the opportunity to have moderate to vigorous activity consistently,” said Keith M. Drake, an author of the study and a postdoctoral research fellow at the Hood Center for Children and Families at the Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth. “I think a lot of time physical education requirements are not that strict. Kids are not in P.E. that often, and when they are, the physical activity is not that strenuous (HT Health).” The past years obesity rates among grammar school students and teens have increased by over seventeen percent! Increasing efforts in sports helped decrease these percentages for about three percent… which is a lot considering the whole population of the United States of America.

Sports, on the other hand, have a very detrimental effect as well. Many players have broken their bones, were paralyzed, and even had fatal injuries in which some even died on the spot. In a soccer game, two soccer players tried to intercept a ball. As the ball slipped out of both of their grasps, they realized in a second where they were traveling, to whom, and at what speed. They collided head on and so hard that it even caused a shudder among the whole stadium. It was silent, and eventually screams of horror came as the two players that collided were, clearly, dead. This was an instant death and as many parents hear this their will to keep their child play sports fade. So, obviously, the glamorous benefits that awaited many people left just like that. This can be one of the mysterious reasons why child and teen obesity rates have drastically increased. Basketball, for example, is a sport that consists of using your hands to dribble and shoot in into a hoop to earn a point. The points you earn depend upon the position you shoot from. But, many skilled players learned this term of “breaking ankles”. This is a widely used term that entertains and woos the audience by a show of an impossibly swift moves that sweeps a defender off their feet. But, though this may be entertaining and fun, this skill actually broke some people’s ankles. The science behind this would normally be starting as a sprain, but this happens because the limit your foot can bend was forcefully pushed so quickly that the bond that connects the hold between the ankle and the calf breaks. Some players had their kneecaps fly from their place and others much worse. Sports can seem so nice at times, but also, very, very deadly.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Sports: Is it more helpful than harmful? by Sean is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Jay 5 months ago

Dear Sean,
    I am intrigued by your post “Sports: Is it more helpful than harmful?” because I also play sports and agree with what you wrote.One sentence that stands out to me was when you wrote “I love sports because they are entertaining, energizing, and brings out my competitive spirit that gets me going” this stood out to me because this is exactly the way I feel during and after I play sports. Another sentence that stood out to me was when you said “The past years obesity rates among grammar school students and teens have increased by over seventeen percent” because this should be expected as I had P.E. everyday in elementary school, but now, I only have P.E. 2 times a week. I do agree with you that sports can have benefits and be harmful at the same time. Thanks for writing, I look forward to see what you write next because you have interesting topics and connect these topics to useful facts.