Should homework be illegal? Of course nobody likes homework, because it really just means more work. But I think homework is actually pointless. Finland is one of the countries with the best education levels in the world, and in that country it is illegal to give students any homework or standardized tests.
       They say that since the students don’t have to stress out and actually get to have fun once they get home, they will learn to appreciate school without doing schoolwork 24/7.
        Students go to school and supposedly have “free time” after school, but instead they still have about 1 hour or more of homework to do.
Do you think kids in American schools would do better during school hours if they did not have to do work after school?

CC BY-SA 4.0 Should Homework be Illegal? by Alba is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Lina 3 months ago

Dear Alba:

I am content with your post, “Should Homework be Illegal?”, because it is a topic that is constantly discussed amongst students. Also homework is something that takes up a lot of time in my life.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “They say that since the students don’t have to stress out and actually get to have fun once they get home, they will learn to appreciate school without doing schoolwork 24/7″. I think this is amazing because it shows how school is literally what we do all the time so obviously too much of something is never good.

Another sentence that I liked was: “Finland is one of the countries with the best education levels in the world, and in that country it is illegal to give students any homework or standardized tests” .This stood out for me because personally I hate tests and think they are the worst way to see what you know since you are under a pressured environment.

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time me and my friends were complaining about the amount of homework we had. It was taking us forever and our teachers didn’t acknowledge that we have a life outside of school. The homework given seemed like busy work.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because it proves a point many students agree with. Hopefully it will be illegal to give homework.

2. Aryan 3 months ago

Dear Alba:

I am pleased by your post “Should Homework be Illegal,” because you brought up many points that show my homework is pointless. I liked the data you included and the evidence you gave from the perspective of a student.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Finland is one of the countries with the best education levels in the world, and in that country it is illegal to give students any homework or standardized tests. ” I think this is weird because I am so used to all the work and tests that I could not imagine a successful school, let alone a country thriving as much as Finland.

I do agree with you that homework is pointless as I am a student. I am still a child and homework prevents me from going to soccer and baseball practices. I also cannot go hang out my my peers or exploring in the woods One reason I say this is because I get too much homework from my school. I believe it should be reduced.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because as a student, topics like these are relate-able and help my express my emotions.

3. Isabella 3 months ago

Dear Alba,

I am in agreement with your post because I too believe that homework should be banned. Homework is a pain and should not be administered to students at all. As you said in your post, homework is a nuisance that students must do simply to review material in class. If material is that important to learn, we should be doing more work in class and achieving more things in class rather than at home. Kids should be outside playing instead of sitting inside and doing homework at one time for multiple hours. One thing you said that stands out for me is: “Finland is one of the countries with the best education levels in the world, and in that country it is illegal to give students any homework or standardized tests.” I think this is interesting because it shows schools that students can receive academic excellence without having a boatload of homework. Students can learn more in school and do more projects instead of studying for hours for a test; while really a few days later. they will forget all of the material that was on it. Thanks for your project. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because these issues are important to think about, especially for future generations.

4. Fiona 3 months ago

Dear Alba,
    I am intrigued by your post because It showed that unlike me some people don’t see homework as a useful form of reviewing that days classwork but more as a form of torture that teachers inflict upon students. 
      One thing you said that stands out for me is: But I think homework is actually pointless.” I think this is interesting because many people argue that homework helps students study and understand the concept taught in class more because the sooner you practice something the better you remember it, hence the homework.
      Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time in my old school I took your side of the argument as well and decided to pass on doing my homework Friday and wait to Sunday and see how well I could do it. I thought I did pretty well because it only took me about 1 hour but I got to school and everyone was saying how it only took them about 20 minutes. that’s when I realized I was wrong and changed my opinion to stand here today facing down yours.
      Thanks for your project. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because it sure looks as though you did your research and it will be fun to see what else you have strong opinions about… Have a nice day! 🙂

5. Isabelle 3 months ago

Dear Alba,   I am satisfied with your decision and stance against homework. Homework is a pain and were are merely reiterating what we learned in class. Homework does not teach us anything new and therefore has no use.