On May 7th, Adam DeVine hosted the 2017 MTV Movie and TV Awards. The show commenced with a performance of Beauty and the Beast by the host himself along with a few other celebrities like Rebel Wilson and Hailee Seinfeld. There were a few other musical performances performed by Pitbull, Camila Cabello, J. Balvin. Then the popular Netflix show “13 Reasons Why” had the honor to award “Stranger Things” with the Show of the Year. But who really stole the show was Emma Watson who brought up that the 2017 MTV Movie and TV Awards was the first gender-neutral award category dedicated to movies, during her acceptance speech of Best Actor in a Movie.

I feel extremely lucky to be part of this generation where people are in support of gender and race equality. As shown above something as simple as an award show can mean breaking barriers and opening new perpectives on gender-neutral topics. Even though people say we are a gender-neutral world we still live in a world where people are being categorized by things they can’t change. I found the 2017 MTV Movie and TV Awards a great approach by taking one step closer to equality among different sexes. As Emma Watson said, “Wow. Thank you so much. Thank you. Thank you. Firstly, I feel I have to say something about the award itself. The first acting award in history that doesn’t separate nominees based on their sex says something about how we perceive the human experience. MTV’s move to create a genderless award for acting will mean something different to everyone. But to me, it indicates that acting is about the ability to put yourself in someone else’s shoes. And that doesn’t need to be separated into two different categories.” PREACH EMMA.

CC BY-SA 4.0 MTV Movie and TV Awards 2017: a new light by Fay is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Isabella Iljaz 5 months ago

Dear Fay,

I am excited about your post because it reminds me of the gender free background we are able to live in today. Although many award ceremonies still have separate actor and actress awards, this is a start to the future of equality. I am inspired by your post and by the quote you provided, because it allows people to showcase their talent without having to separate into separate gender categories. One thing you said that stands out for me is: “MTV’s move to create a genderless award for acting will mean something different to everyone. But to me, it indicates that acting is about the ability to put yourself in someone else’s shoes.” I think this is interesting because we are starting a movement where people can be free to win an award without having to worry about a gender mutuality. Thanks for your project. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you opened up a topic to people that is important to think about when coming into the future of a gender-free barrier.

2. rakisultan 5 months ago

I agree with you that even the smallest things can mean breaking barriers in the society we live in today. For example, even though people say that we live in a gender-neutral world, we’re still often categorized by stuff like gender, when in truth that isn’t even the whole of our identity. Positive media like this that displays the pros of being more accepting of a gender-neutral world is sure to help the cause and persuade others, erasing the idea that we should only be considered for our gender.