When I first found out we were going to write about something we were passionate about i knew that i wanted to talk about discrimination right away.  It is something that is still such a large and ongoing battle. The things that minorities have to live and deal with are not fair and should not be accepted in today’s world. I feel passionate about the fact that there needs to be a line drawn and a change in today’s world to have a better impact on the upcoming future.

One of the biggest problems that i see is the treatment of women and how they are almost excluded from games and activities commonly seen as manly. For example there has never been a female football player to be signed to a Division one school until just this year. I see a problem with that and how unfair that is to women. Another key example of it in today’s culture is the misunderstanding that all black people are not athletic, fast, jump high, and are good at sports. I almost always find myself watching African Americans be categorized as sporty just by their skin tone.

These are some very big problems that need to be fixed in our current culture and they are the most common thing that i see in my day to day life. I want to be able to let my daughter grow up and have the dream of playing in the MLB or NFL and not have to shut her down due to American culture and the classification of people by sex, race, and age.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Discrimination by Jason is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Kait 7 months ago

Jason, I couldn’t agree more with you on the specifics you gave and your topic overall. Discrimination has been a problem for a very long time and over all this time, little progress has been made to fix things. For as long as this stuff has been going on, not much has been done. Thank you for bringing this up and adding to the conversation of discrimination because it plays a large roll in our society today and most likely always will.

2. Jordan 7 months ago

I totally agree with you on discrimination. I wrote about the same thing. I wrote about how the black teen got killed by the police man in Texas. I encourage you to check it out. I think your essay is really good. I want you to explore more of this topic.