Cinco de Mayo is a holiday that is surrounded by misunderstandings about what exactly is being observed on May the fifth. Usually people who might not understand the meaning and historical context of this day spend it wearing sombreros and laughing at handle bar mustaches and for adults, drinking alcoholic beverages  without a thought to what exactly happened on that day in 1862. Cinco de Mayo observes the Battle of Puebla were Mexican forces defeated the French which was a very unlikely outcome. It is supposed to commemorate this great victory for the Mexican army and the leadership of a Mexican general named Ignacio Zaragoza.  It was declared a holiday today 1862, May 9th.  But, many people who were brewers took this holiday and turned it into a day to drink so that it would benefit themselves, not the day of remembrance that it should have been. People in America take this Mexican holiday as a day to appropriate their culture  not learn about what actually happened. For next Cinco de Mayo please, take just a minute to think of what you are celebrating and think if those tacos and sombreros are really appropriate. Also what is with all the jalapenos?!

CC BY-SA 4.0 Cinco de Mayo Misunderstandings by Daniela is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Mahdi 7 months ago

Dear Daniela:

I am interested by your post, “Cinco de Mayo Misunderstandings,” because I feel your opinion is very strong on the topic.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Also what is with all the jalapenos?!” I think this is strong because I believe it is judgemental and criticism to their culture.

Another sentence that I found intriguing was: “ Usually people who might not understand the meaning and historical context of this day spend it wearing sombreros and laughing at handle bar mustaches and for adults, drinking alcoholic beverages without a thought to what exactly happened on that day in 1862. ” This stood out for me because it made me wonder how you found that many people don’t know their origin. If that is the case, it is the same for July Fourth.

I don’t fully agree with you that they do not know what they are celebrating. One reason I say this is we know our origin for July 4th why would not they. Another reason I disagree with you is what’s the point in having such a strong remark on someone else’s culture.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you enlighten others about origins to very popular things.

2. Aoyan 7 months ago

Dear Daniela,

I am confused by your post “Cinco de Mayo Misunderstandings”, because I feel like your opinion of Cinco de Mayo is wrong. I have never seen adults just spend the entire day drinking, Usually, whenever I think of Cinco de Mayo, I think of some day where people honor Mexican traditions and eat Mexican food and celebrate with Mexican music, and other Mexican stuff.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “ Also what is with all the jalapenos.” I think this is true because Mexican food is not equal to just jalapenos, but a whole amount of different stuff.

However, a sentence that I disagreed with was: “For next Cinco de Mayo please, take just a minute to think of what you are celebrating and think if those tacos and sombreros are really appropriate.” This stood out for me because I believe that people should celebrate holidays with however they feel is best appropriate. As long as people are honoring Mexico, it’s food, and it’s culture, what is the problem?

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you speak thoughtfully about something that most of us do not recognize as a problem.