While for some the word feminism brings up images of misandrists (people who are prejudiced against men) and feminazis, the term feminism is supposed to mean a good thing. It’s supposed to bring up images of the struggle people have gone through to reach the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes. And it’s also about equality for all marginalized groups because it isn’t like one person is just female and that’s it (look up intersectionality if you’re interested in this). Just like the kinds of thing feminism represents changes from person to person, the types of feminism that exists have also changed over the eras. Below are some of them:

• Liberal feminism – more broadly referred to as mainstream feminism, liberal feminism is traditionally known for gaining equality for the sexes through political and legal reform
    • White feminism – this is a result of liberal feminism prioritizing the experiences and voices of the privileged
  • Radical feminism – it holds the philosophy that the male-controlled capitalist hierarchy is the defining feature of women’s oppression
  • Marxist and Socialist Feminism – it connects the oppression of women to Marxist ideas of exploitation, oppression, and labor
  • Cultural Feminism – after a decline in radical feminism, cultural feminism utilized vanguardism, working instead to build a women’s culture
  • Eco-Feminism – links the domination of women to the domination of the environment

Which kind of feminism do you think is the best? I tend to prefer black feminism (not mentioned), which argues that sexism, class oppression, and racism are all connected.

CC BY-SA 4.0 A Study on Feminism by rakisultan is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Alba 5 months ago

Dear Rakiba:
    I think that Social Equality for All feminism is the most important because it is important that all woman can be represented if we are talking about feminism.

One sentence that stood out to me is “that sexism…is all connected”. This stood out to me because I also agree that many times woman immigrants are less represented than woman who have lived in America for generations.

I enjoyed your post and will like to read another related one because this is a topic that a lot of people are talking about now.

2. Eduardo 5 months ago

Dear Rakiba,

I agree with, your belief that feminism should be a normal idea among humans in your article, “A Study on Feminism” because I come from a household of women, and I understand the struggles they have to go through in day to day life. I also agree with “Black” feminism, as it focuses most on equality, and less on putting other first or down..