When I first heard that we were writing about issues we care about, I knew I wanted to write about climate change. Recently, I have been discussing climate change with my family and those around me. I feel passionate about it and will strongly argue that there needs to be change in the world to prevent further environmental issues.

The burning of fossil fuels releases CO2  gas, which is a greenhouse gas, that raises the overall temperature of the atmosphere. According to the Fifth Assessment Report, “the average global temperature increased by 0.85 °C” in the past 130 years and that “it is likely that the end of this century [we] will see a 1–2° C increase in global mean temperature above the 1990 level” because of the world’s consumption of fossil fuels (“Climate Change”). Based off of the many statistics available about global warming, it is clear to see that climate change is a significant problem in our world.

Moving forward, I would like to learn more about specific action the government can take to help improve this problem. I would like to know more about specific legislation that can be passed and how the government can promote the use of other forms of transportation for citizens.

“Climate Change.” United Nations. United Nations, n.d. Web. 07 May 2017.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Climate Change by Xochitl is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Sean Elliot 5 months ago

Dear Xochitl,

Your post is interesting and intriguing, making it informational. I love how you added certain facts about global warming and CO2 gases.

2. Nyasa 5 months ago

Dear Xochitl,
    I agree with your post a lot and also think that climate change is a really big issue that needs to be addressed. I really like the sentence “The burning of fossil fuels releases CO2 gas, which is a greenhouse gas, that raises the overall temperature of the atmosphere.” because I feel like it says so much and such a big reason why this issue is true. I like how you used many facts in this, but also somewhat added some of your opinion. Overall I like this post and agree with it.

3. Brandon 5 months ago

Xochitl, I agree that changes for the worse are happening and something needs to be done about it. I think believing strongly in the need for positive change is the first step in the right direction

4. Khan 5 months ago

Dear Xochitl, I agree with your article, Climate Change, because what you said is true and the climate change is getting dangerous for our world. A quote that stood out to me was “there needs to be change in the world to prevent further environmental issues.” This stood out because the environment is getting destroyed thanks to us and most of us are doing nothing to help prevent climate change. Another quote that stood out was “climate change is a significant problem in our world.” This stood out because it is so true and many people are getting killed by climate change every year due to unexpected tsunamis or monsoons. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because i would like to read more about climate change and what we could do to help stop it.

5. Humaira 5 months ago

Dear Xochitl:

I am content about your post, “Climate change,” because it shows that climate change is a thing that shouldn’t be avoided, as it currently is. It is so cool that you intend on researching ways the government will be able to change that.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “According to the Fifth Assessment Report, ‘the average global temperature increased by 0.85 °C’ in the past 130 years and that ‘it is likely that the end of this century [we] will see a 1–2° C increase in global mean temperature above the 1990 level’ I think this is cool to know because we are endangering ourselves by using too much fossil fuels.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because the way you write is interesting and your opinion on topic is cool.

6. Aoyan 5 months ago

Dear Xochitl,

I totally agree with everything you say. Climate change is a very important matter. I have watched several videos that explain the causes of climate change, and they are not good. All of the ice caps will melt, and then tens of animals will go extinct. All of the water will flood coastal cities and leave thousands and thousands homeless and maybe even dead. The smog will end up killing hundreds of thousands of people, and then the world will become a disaster. This is why we need to stop global warming now, while we still have the chance.

7. Yloni 5 months ago

Dear Xochitl, I totally agree with your article. I’m also very compassionate about this topic because things have to be done to stop climate change.

8. Lidia 5 months ago

Dear Xochitl:

I am very happy with your post, “Climate Change,” because it gives an idea of how important it is to discuss these issues worldwide. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “I would like to know more about specific legislation that can be passed and how the government can promote the use of other forms of transportation for citizens.” I think this is because it illustrates that our citizens aren’t the only people who can work towards achieving a better world, but our government as well. Another sentence that I found was: “The burning of fossil fuels releases CO2 gas, which is a greenhouse gas, that raises the overall temperature of the atmosphere. ” This stood out for me because it shows how climate change has been happening and will continue to be serious damage for our world without taking precautions. I do strongly agree with you that we need to make our change so that the people and world don’t face consequences. One reason I say this is because if we use fossil fuels they are nonrenewable so once there gone there’s no more. Another reason I agree is because if we start using other sources of energy we can make climate change decrease.Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because these issues are what can unite our people to heal the world from breaking apart.

9. Sid 5 months ago

Xochitl,

Climate change is a very big topic in America today and I am glad you talked about it. We need to find other ways to use energy that is renewable. Fossil fuels are nonrenewable and is not a good source to rely on for large periods of time. Pls, they can also hurt the environment, which also leads to global warming. Overall, thi a good piece and you should be proud of our work.

-Sid

10. Kristy 5 months ago

This is a great piece Xochitl and I completely agree with you. Climate change is a huge problem that needs to be addressed and I think that digging deeper will be very interesting. Good luck in your research!

11. Carmen 5 months ago

Xochitl, I completely agree with you that climate change is an important issue. It really scares me how much the planet is changing and the effects that has on animals and us. It would also really interest me to see the legislation that could be passed to improve this issue. Amazing job with this piece!

12. Abinaov 5 months ago

Xochitl, I also wrote about climate change, though your piece was far more focused on facts. My piece was centered a bit more on effects we could see here in Michigan as well as social/economic factors related to climate change. I quite liked yours as it sounded significantly better than what I wrote.

13. Yuliana 6 months ago

Dear Xochitl,
    Your post is important because many of us have contributed to climate change due to our actions. I agree the everyday things we do has to change in order to prevent more issues. Due to the climate change species may be wiped out. An example would be polar bears their maybe be very few left in the future because the ice caps are melting. The climate change has cause for their habitat to slowly fade away. Many people don’t realize how the climate has changed informing them on what they can do to prevent it would be a step ahead. I like how you mentioned that the government should take action but it isn’t their problem it’s the whole earth’s population. In my opinion the government should make programs to inform people how we can prevent climate change. Thank you for your project, it was good to read about your perspective on climate change.

14. Tuan 6 months ago

Xochitl, I think you did a great job in expressing your concerns over climate change. I’m also very passionate about nature and it’s really reassuring that more people in this world care about this as well.