Act 3 Scene 3

“ I had been happy if the general camp, Pioners and all,had taste her sweet body, So I had nothing known. O, now forever Farewell the tranquil mind! Farewell content! Farewell the plumed troop and big wars that make ambition virtue! O, farewell, Farewell the neighing steed and shrill trump, The spiritstirring drum, the earpiercing fife, the royal banner, and all quality (355 -365)My Analysis : My thoughts on this quote is  that he is saying the old othello is gone and his upset that he been cheated on he would of been happy if he did not know she did , that he would be happy if she slept with the whole army  before kissing Cassios on the lips so now he is giving up on being a nice guy and saying goodbye pageantry way

To win the Moor, were to renounce his baptism,/All seals and symbols of redeemèd sin,/His soul is so enfettered to her love,/That she may make, unmake, do what she list,/Even as her appetite shall play the god/With his  weak function.”  (Lines 329-334)

Analysis: The phrase “renounce his baptism” is very biblical to where in the bible, to get baptized is sprinkling water onto a person’s forehead or of immersion in water, symbolizing purification or regeneration and admission to the Christian Church. Renouncing his baptism refers to him rejecting his own religion just to make Desdemona  happy and more in love with him more. But in Iago’s head he believes Othello is still a devil worshipper and will always have that devil side in him no matter what religion he claims.  The word “Enfettered” can mean to be enslaved referring to Desdemona having full control of Othello because of the love he has for her and how he’ll do whatever she wants him to do.“Enfettered” means to restrain (someone) with shackles therefore in the

CC BY-SA 4.0 Close Reading Paragraphs by Kamron is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.