Democracy is a failure of a system that should be eradicated from the face of the Earth.

This may sound like a harsh and strange judgement that I just have declared, especially coming from someone living in America, the land of democratic values. However, it should seem to me to be the case, in light of history, of recent events, and the structure of democracy as a system in general.

When it was first implemented, democracy seemed like a dream that had come true: the people finally would all have a voice and be able to partake in the events of the government. To many, the whole idea of everyone having a say in something sounds like the perfect system. However, upon further inspection, we can see that saying “everyone has a say,” what we’re really saying is “the majority rules.” This is a form of mob mentality: if enough people wish to do something, it is done.

Here’s a hypothetical scenario to help elaborate: let’s say there is a group of ten people. One of the people speaks up to the others and says, “Hey, I don’t like how we have ten people. We should have less. Let’s kill a few of ourselves off to make our group smaller!” The ten then proceed to take a vote on the proposal; seven vote yes, and three vote no. However, since it is a democracy, the majority voted yes, and thus the group promptly kills off someone from the group to shrink their numbers.

Okay, that illustration was a bit far-fetched, but its message holds true: democracy is a form of mob mentality, and as such, is a dangerous mechanism to live under.

On the other side of the coin of democracy, we see it when it simply doesn’t work. Take for example the recent United States election for the president: the candidate that got the most votes didn’t win the primaries for the Democrats, and the candidate that was nominated for the Democrats didn’t win the general election upon getting the majority of the votes. This is not to say I wish she had won, but simply an observation: sometimes government gets in the way, and obstructs democracy from happening. As such, democracy proves to either be a dangerous form of mob mentality, or simply falls flat, and doesn’t work at all.

This is an issue that the people of America need to wake up to: the democratic system is a broken one, and a remedy for it needs to be found fast; whether that solution is anarchy, monarchy, or something else, we need something new to replace this terrifying system.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Democracy is a Failed Experiment by Zachary is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Brian 3 months ago

Dear Zach
    I am shocked by your post, “Democracy is a Failed Experiment,” because this topic is very controversial but very true. Though democracy is not a failed experiment its just that this government cannot stand forever and dies out before monarchy rule does.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “the candidate that got the most votes didn’t win the primaries for the Democrats, and the candidate that was nominated for the Democrats didn’t win the general election upon getting the majority of the votes”. I think this is a true statement because Hilary when going against Donald Trump during the finals for president. Hillary got the majority vote but Donald Trump got the majority of electoral votes. Therefore Donald trump was president, which isn’t very fair.
    Another sentence that I agreed was: “majority rules”. This stood out for me because in this world we live in, if we lose a game or need to vote something. The most people to vote for one side wins, and that side’s opinion is answered. The other side’s voice does not get heard. Like Hillary and Trump, Hillary won the popular vote but Trump won the most electoral college votes.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because this topic is very interesting, though you wrote this in a kinda harsh tone next time maybe be a little less harsh. Also these topics are very true and is happening right before us.

2. Ronald 3 months ago

Dear Zach,
    I am intrigued by your post “Why democracy is a failed experiment” because I do not really agree with your ideas but you made a very good argument that I would like to have a chance to argue against. This is a topic that I can understand your point of view but do not agree with it.
    One sentence you wrote that stood out to me was “However, it should seem to me to be the case, in light of history, of recent events, and the structure of democracy as a system in general.” I think this is interesting because it gets me interested in your topic. It does not tell me what you wrote but just the topic. This shows me what I will see but not explain to me how you will convince me.
    Another sentence that I find interesting is “This is an issue that the people of America need to wake up to: the democratic system is a broken one, and a remedy for it needs to be found fast; whether that solution is anarchy, monarchy, or something else, we need something new to replace this terrifying system.” because it shows me everything you wrote and what you believe should happen.
    I do not agree with this topic because it goes against what I believe in. Sure we did not vote for the candidate who won but we did vote the people who did vote for this. Another reason I do not agree with this is because the only argument you have is the recent presidency and that is not enough to convince me.

3. Andrew 3 months ago

I must disagree with the points made in this article, democracy is a logical system that puts the power in the hands of the people, and arguing that what the majority wants can be “Wrong” on such an objective level is just factually inaccurate. Now, I am actually a hardcore liberal, who took the Trump victory extremely hard but you mentioned in your article, Donald Trump did not get more votes than Hilary Clinton, he only won because the U.S. Presidential election system is only a warped take on democracy, where the electoral college makes every vote matter decidedly less. However, despite this, if Trump had won in a proper democratic way, though I could protest him, I would accept him as president. However, the solutions you propose to democracy are far worse, anarchy, having absolutely no government, society cannot function without government, and on the other end of the spectrum, monarchy, giving the fate of the country to one person. Quite frankly, even if we are in the minority, we must accept that the majority of the country would like to go a certain way and that we have an opinion that we would like to live under a government that less people would like to live under, the logical direction for a country is the direction most people want to go in.

4. Khan 3 months ago

Dear Zach, I agree with your article, Democracy is a failed experiment, because everything you said was true and expresses my feelings about democracy. A quote that stands out is “democracy is a form of mob mentality, and as such, is a dangerous mechanism to live under.” This stands out because democracy is something that controls us and is scary. Another quote that stands out is “we need something new to replace this terrifying system.” This stands out because it is so true and realistic about life. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because i would like to hear about more articles about democracy.

5. David 3 months ago

Dear zach

I am conflicted about your article “Why democracy is a failed experiment” because Although I do agree that democracy is like mob mentality, this could be swayed to do good. As you stated, the majorities mentality, wanted to elect a woman who wanted to do good. Whether or not you believe she would, the majority did want to vote for someone they thought was good, and that in in itself is good.

Therefore One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: ““the majority rules.” This is a form of mob mentality: I think this is smart because you did state that the majority is like mob mentality

A sentence that confused me was: “we need something new to replace this terrifying system.” This stood out for me because I was wondering.. are you a socialist? a Communist? Dictatorship? Monarchy? I would like to hear your opinion about what government you like

I don’t agree with you that mob mentality is always bad One reason I say this is because it can be swayed by ads and other things to think if the right things. Another reason I disagree with you is because the mob mentality has often voted for the right things

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I wanted to learn about your views on the “right Govt.

6. Joseph 3 months ago

Hey Zach. Your essay was very passionate and it seems like you know your topic very well. I understand how you feel against the governmental form of democracy. However, just because it doesn’t work a couple times nor you don’t agree with it, it doesn’t mean that automatic there should be automatic barrage of hate. But, I think your voice brings the government its weaknesses and tells them what to improve on. Next time, don’t be too negative. Good work.