In our American history class we are researching contemporary issues and designing ways that people can take action and improve our community. Our group is focused on police brutality because we have been hearing about it since we started high school.  This issue is important because there are more reports coming up about this police brutality.  This issue is complicated because it is caused by police being scared of the people they stop so they end up using force against them. However, we need to address it because it has serious effects like people of color being killed for no reason It also has the long term effect of the colored community not trusting police and cause more conflicts between the two To address this issue, we think that police should have to go through therapy before being able to join the police force to make sure they are both mentally and emotionally fit.  Some people might oppose this idea because it might cause the city to spend more money on the police, but it is a good solution because it can show more cities that it works it will raise awareness about this solution. We have made a prototype that is a letter to Mayor schaaf.  Please give us any feedback you have about our prototype to help us improve it to help raise awareness about this important issue.

Dear Mayor Schaaf,

Hello Mayor Schaaf, me and a group of student have been doing research about police brutality. We have found out that between the years 2000 and 2016 There have been 90 people shot by police and 74% of which were black. Which means nearly 3 of 4 people killed by police were black. We have a solution that wont completely end police brutality but might help. This solution is a therapy which police in training will have to take before they become police officers the therapy will inform the therapist if the officer in training has the right mentality to be a Oakland police officer. This will help the problem by eliminating some of the police officers that are most likely to end up killing a innocent person. This might costs the city a bit of money but this could also stop other problems from rising up like people ending up going around shooting police which put even more people’s lives at stake or when people stop trusting police and end up not helping them with evidence to cases.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Gerardo Thomas Kareem Jorge Prototype: Raising Awareness About Police brutality by Gerardo is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Mariah 5 months ago

I was a little confused when you said “To address this issue, we think that police should have to go through therapy before being able to join the police force to make sure they are both mentally and emotionally fit.” What do you mean by this? Do you suggest all policemen should go into therapy? I think this would work if people who worked in the army decide to become policemen and would need support to get them out of “being in war for so long”. I don’t think it would help so much for all policemen and women to go into therapy because it would spend a lot of money on people who don’t need therapy (like policemen who want to serve the people and want to protect them). I would find more evidence, like addressing an article that supports your claim that police brutality is hurting innocent people.

2. Tomas 5 months ago

You had a solid start, just work on your spelling and grammar or have someone check it for you. Elaborate on your evidence because is kind of unclear what racial group you are talking about unless you are talking about everyone which is very broad because police brutality can happen to latinos, asians, europeans etc. also cite your evidence and maybe explain where the money is going to come from to make your solution happen. your counter argument is strong.

3. MIguel 5 months ago

Dear Gerardo,
    You and your group chose to write about a important topic that is going on right now all over the United States. In fact, my senior project is based on Police Brutality also. I enjoyed reading your post because many people don’t really care about the topic Police Brutality and I also liked how you gave examples on what race is targeted the most. You should add an example on how the community feels about police brutality.

4. Pablo 5 months ago

You need to explain what type of therapy officers will be assigned to take.You have a solid counter argument. How much money will these therapy cost yearly? will the therapy only take place when officer is involved in a negative altercation with a citizen?

5. Jerome 5 months ago

You belive spending money on police while there trying to become an officer will help? So you belive the problem starts while there young officers. what if the problem starts after they become an officer.

6. Christie 5 months ago

Clarify your facts: 90 shot …where? That is too low a number to be nationally, or do you mean shot and killed? OR do you mean unarmed? The fact needs more context and as Ahmir noted, a source. The therapy idea is an interesting one, but do you want them to just get it before they start working, or is it meant to be ongoing or in response to certain experiences. Your group mentioned some good explanations for that in our discussions that aren’t coming across in the letter.

7. Ahmir 5 months ago

Your thesis should be more specific about whether you’re talking about police brutality against the colored community or police brutality in general because some police brutality can happen to anyone. You guys should also cite the sources that you used for the statistics given. You guys have a good solution but where are we going to get the money to pay for these therapy sessions. You guys have an excellent counter argument as well