In our American history class we are researching contemporary issues and designing ways that people can take action and improve our community. Our group is focused on gender wage gap.  This issue is important because many women are being ignored and they are not being treated equal to men.  This issue is complicated because it is caused by companies favoring men more than women and men not wanting to share the power with women, in which women are now being unrecognized for the work they do, we need to address it because it has serious effects on women because they are not able to earn enough money for food for their families. That can be a problem because if a women is a single mother she won’t be able to provide her kids and herself with a comfortable lifestyle. It also has the long term effect of depression, anxiety and stress. To address this issue, we think that people should go and protest outside the workplace or white house and boycott.  Some people might oppose this idea because men might think it is easier to just fire them and use that as an excuse to do so but it is a good solution because it will get a lot of people’s attention and it will raise awareness.  To raise awareness about gender wage gap We have made a prototype that is an infographic  Please give us any feedback you have about our prototype to help us improve it to help raise awareness about this important issue.   Here is the link to our prototype: https://magic.piktochart.com/output/22145449-gender-wage-gap-infographic 

CC BY-SA 4.0 Prototype: Raising Awarness About Gender Gap by Issa is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Abby 2 months ago

I agree that is a problem that needs to be solved but I don’t know how easily this can be achieved. This fight for gender equality has been happening for so long and it seems like no matter how hard people protest and try it doesn’t get fixed. I really appreciate your enthusiasm for this cause and your ideas for fixing it. The idea of a protest as an attempt to fix it makes me wonder if it is the best way to handle the situation and if there are other more affective ways to get justice? really great topic.

2. Joshua 2 months ago

Dear Emmanuel, I totally agree with your post because woman totally have the same rights as human rights i think what your doing is very well. One sentence that stood out from your post is ” Some people might oppose this idea because men might think it is easier to just fire them and use that as an excuse to do so but it is a good solution because it will get a lot of people’s attention and it will raise awareness. To raise awareness about gender wage gap” because your really giving some good detail and stuff. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because you have good arguments.

3. Jack 6 months ago

I’m sorry but your argument is flawed. The wage gap is a myth. Think about it: if companies could get away with paying women less for the same work, why would they ever hire a man? It doesn’t make sense. Instead, there is an earning gap between genders. This is not because women are being paid less for the same work, but because women are doing work that pays less money. More women are taking jobs in lower paying fields like counseling and psychology whereas more men are taking jobs in higher paying fields like STEM fields and aerospace engineering. That is why women are earning less per year as seen in your info-graphic, not to mention, stay-at-home moms don’t receive any income at all, throwing the percentages all askew.

4. Siena 7 months ago

I think that this is a relevant issue in today’s culture and it is good that you have brought attention to it. You should consider discussing how exactly protesting is going to raise awareness to this issue and whether or not it will directly affect the wage gap….good work!

5. Noor 7 months ago

What if protesting doesn’t help spread the message that’s supposed to be heard? is there another solution for that?A solution that doesn’t include yelling or violence?

6. Stasia 7 months ago

I very much do agree that this is a serious issue. You’re problem is well-said, but elaborate more on why would just protesting make a change. Not only, that protesting would help and think furthermore on what else can you do to get the word out. Why protest in front of their work place or white house, elaborate on what effect that’ll have, like will it get more people involved? Also, maybe add in an estimate of how much a woman would get paid opposed to man. Overall this is an outstanding issue, keep going.

7. Emmanuel 7 months ago

This is a very important idea to get across and inform people about. In today’s world this is a big problem that has not yet being addressed as much and I believe that by speaking and getting this out would engage people to a change their perspectives. To make this argument stronger you should have way of how media is involved and portraying genders The infographic is well done but I would suggest in rephrasing or giving out more information about the percentages in the different states.

8. Anastasia Tupou 7 months ago

9. Athsia 7 months ago

This is a major issue to be looking and you have a good start to a solution. Women have never been looked at the same as man since forever so why do you think this issue will change? I think that your idea for protesting is good but why protest at the places you said?

10. Jerome 7 months ago

You belive boycotts and protest in the workplace will help womens rights. Is this way women can address this problem?

11. Christie 7 months ago

Good start scholars! The comments will help you improve your work. The one additional comment i have is that you should think more deeply about how we can get jobs to have more pay and equal opportunities. Merely protesting without a specific demand of how to achieve those changes is bound to be less powerful than if you can offer a vision of how the government or businesses could change their practices to promote gender equality.

12. Young Whan Choi 7 months ago

Hi all, I like your infographic, but I can’t tell what the percentages mean. What does it mean that Utah and Wyoming are 65-70%?

13. Sean 7 months ago

What does it mean for the US map when you go over a state and it gives are and population numbers (California Area:40 Population:60) since I was confused on that map. I would put more info on the causes on the website but besides the map it is really easy to read and gives a lot of information.

14. Ilda 7 months ago

Your organization in your infographic is very well-formatted and well-said. I think having the statistic “Did you know women make 79 cents for every dollar earned by men” was a good fact to incorporate in your infographic because it catches the reader’s attention. According to your solution of “increasing promotions” in your infographic, how will the people who offer these promotions get more women to advance in their work position? What will be their reason to do so – the woman’s merit or her gender?

Can you rationalize your point to do so?

15. Dania 7 months ago

This is a well thought out problem and solution. I liked the idea of protesting to raise awareness but go a little further to say how you will get this protest to make change. You said “protest outside the workplace or white house and boycott”. What makes these places the best places to target? Are there any places missing from the list that would be better options for the protest and/or boycott?