The book Hatchet by Gary Paulsen is about a boy, Brian Robeson, who is going to an oil field in Canada by going on a bush plane. Everything goes wrong when the pilot of the aircraft has a massive heart attack, and Brian tries to gain control of the plane but ends up crash-landing in the Canadian woods. 

After Brian leaves the wreckage, knowing that the pilot has died, he finds a cave near a river and is forced to learn how to survive in the wilderness alone. Throughout the book he is faced with many challenges such as trying to find food, protecting himself against the wild animals and much more. 

This is an excellent book if you are into survival books and love to read about how a character can find themselves in an unsuspected situation. Also, after you read this book and if you enjoyed it, you should check out My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George. 

This one is about a 15-year-old boy who runs away into the woods so he can finally have his own space since he was living in a small, crowded apartment in New York. As Sam starts to survive on his own, he learns a lot about who he truly is. 

These books show the reader how dangerous and unpredictable the wilderness can be, but if we never give up and keep on striving to get to our goals, then we can pull through any given situation.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Great Survival Books by Ruben is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Ronald 7 months ago

Dear Ruben,
    Your post was really entreating because of the perspective you put on the book. You made it feel like I was reading a really short version of the book. For such a small amount it put a lot of perspective on me to read this book. It sounds like a book that I would be interested in and it seems you are too. I like how you did not spoil the book either.

2. Mahdi 7 months ago

Dear Ruben,
    I really enjoyed your post because I can relate to exactly what your saying. I have read the book Hatchet by Gary Paulsen, one of my favorites, so I can see what you’re getting at. I advise anyone even more than he did to go and read this book it is a very good read.
    I look forward to reading more of your posts because I can tell we have similar tastes in books and such.

3. Pavan 7 months ago

Hello Ruben,
    Your summary is interesting, and I’m thoroughly intrigued. This might be my summer read.

4. Ben 7 months ago

Ruben,
    I really enjoyed reading your post. When I saw the cover photo I knew I had to read it. Hatchet was one of my of my favorite books that I have read. I thought you did a nice job with the summary and it was accurate to the book.