Statement: I believe in the importance of emotional endurance and strength

I believe in the importance of emotional endurance and strength. When I was born, I was born with a blood disorder called Sickle Cell Anemia. This blood disorder kept me from playing sports and playing outside in the too hot Summers and the too cold Michigan Falls and Winters. When I was 13, in the seventh grade, my mom and I decided that I would undergo a bone marrow transplant to cure the disease.

I checked into Detroit Children’s hospital in February of 2013, started chemo, and after two weeks of that, I had the actual transplant. After about another 2 weeks, since I was doing well I was discharged (It also helped convince the doctors to let me home that my mother is a peds hem/onc physician and had done exactly what I was going through as a profession). I was home for about a week and a half before I had a fever and needed to go back to the hospital ( because my immune system was severely suppressed a seemingly small fever was cause to go to the hospital). I went to our local hospital and then transferred back to Detroit Children’s. I ended up staying there for 6 months total. From the beginning of February 2013 to the beginning March 2013, then from halfway through March to halfway through August. While I was in the hospital I was also not able to eat anything, I was fed through my port.

During this time it seems completely reasonable for one to fall into self pity and complete sadness, however I didn’t. This is why I think that emotional strength is important. If you can’t be strong for yourself then you must talk to other so they can help you be strong. My strength came through religion, meditation, keeping an open mind and, as cliche as this may sound, helping other people. While I was in the hospital I started a business doing nails, my patrons were usually the mothers of other patients, nurses on my floor or others, and sometimes even doctors. Half of my proceeds (it ended up being around $700) went to the Ronald McDonald House. I was also humbled when I heard stories of patients who maybe weren’t doing as well as I, or who didn’t even make it. I was also much more gracious when I heard of families who couldn’t always  afford to make the hour long drive from Lansing to Detroit like my family.

I just believe that anyway that works for you, you should make sure you have emotional strength to deal with the trying times we all go through.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Emotional Strength by Ariel is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.