Growing up my parents always told me to do what makes me happy, that no amount of money will ever make up for doing something that you don’t enjoy. I didn’t really understand that at a younger age, being the kid that I was, I thought money is what made people happy.  I mean c’mon rich people always look so happy on tv so why wouldn’t I want to be like them, so I didn’t catch on to that for a while. Nowadays I wholeheartedly believe that the only way to do good work is to love what you do.

My mother always comes home with stories about her job, they’re exciting and she tells them with passion, you could tell that she really enjoys what she does. And after listening to these stories I figured that maybe the only way to do good work is to love what you do. And when you can’t do this you feel lost, like a machine just going through the motions of life. You don’t feel alive. This motto to live by applies to everything, you have to love what you do, I personally find that when I play lacrosse I do good work, I find that I enjoy spending my time hanging out with the team and just having fun. I love lacrosse, it’s helped me through some hard times and I genuinely do better in school when it’s going well, actually, I do better in everything. I guess I used lacrosse as a stress reliever, it helped me get my mind off things and helped me do better work in all aspects of my life.

Lacrosse was my medicine for a hard day’s work, and Recently I haven’t been able to play due to an injury, and since then I haven’t been as happy. Not being able to do what I love has taken its toll on my life, it’s affected my ability to relieve stress which sucks because I’m under a lot of pressure right now. That’s kind of the root of the belief, doing what you love helps you relieve stress and if you can’t do that you’ll begin to feel overwhelmed, lost, and overall just sad; that being said there are still other things that make you happy but it’s not the same.

I know lacrosse isn’t a career, and it probably never will be for me, but what I’m trying to say is that everyone needs to do something that they love. Be it their job or even just a hobby, because being happy is the most important thing you can do for yourself, and it’ll help you get through rough times.

CC BY-SA 4.0 The Only Way to Do Good Work is to Love What You Do by Tyler is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Brian 3 months ago

Dear Tyler,
    I am emotionally struck by your post, “The Only Way to Do Good Work is to Love What You Do,” because in my life, my mother always wants me to be a doctor though I like other careers. I’ve never complained because I knew that being a doctor racks in money which I also thought made people happy.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “ I thought money is what made people happy”. I think this is true in many cases because many kids see money as a way to get stuff. Useless stuff that somehow makes them happy, but when they grow older it is your choice of what you like to do best that is better then a high paying job.

Another sentence that I agreed on was: “<when you can’t do this you feel lost,.” This stood out for me because many things in life, if not achieved make you feel lost. Like how I got lost when I failed a test, it brought me down. When I wanted to be a train driver my mother was like no become a doctor instead. It hurts to have your dream destroyed because someone’s saying is true.

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time I got lost near Brooklyn and Manhattan on the Brooklyn Bridge, I went ahead to fast and lost track of my mother. I soon crossed the bridge to Manhattan and felt sad and lonely, feeling incomplete. Then I was reunited with my mother and I felt happy again. It is exactly like the example of being hurt when your dream is taken away

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because this topic and the way you wrote it is very interesting. These many factors of life need to be known for many people to see the true meaning of life. Its not just money and having everything, it is about having and happiness.

2. Stephanie 3 months ago

Dear Tyler, This is a really great article. I agree with you that you have to fine and do something that you love. There is so many people out there in the world that think money is the most important thing. This is most of the time not true. People tend to be in situations where they get so much money but they are not happy with what they are doing with their life. These people can choose to do something about it or not change anything at all. Overall, we do need to do something that we actually love.

3. Miguel 4 months ago

Dear Tyler, I totally agree with you that you cannot be truly happy if you don’t do something that you love. It can’t always work out to be a career but I like how you said that it can be a hobby of some sort. A kid always doesn’t see the world as other people but when they do, reality hits most of them hard. I believe it is always good to follow your dreams, even if it doesn’t work out I believe that there are good alternatives. Anyways you did a great job with this article and I hope it caught others attention like it caught mine.

4. Grant 4 months ago

Great essay! I also agree that if you love what you do you will do good work, it’s almost common sense. It is just like that saying, “if you love what you do you will never work a day in your life”. I really like this philosophy and think that more people should carry the same mindset.

5. Carmen 4 months ago

I agree that you have to do what you love. As someone who wants to have a career as an artist I really relate to this topic because art is something I love and enjoy. I would rather have an enjoyable life making art than be rich but unhappy. I also really like how you used a picture you took in New York because it really adds to your message and makes your essay even more personal. Great job!