Chapter 18 Pg. 99

“Next Sunday we all went to church, about three mile, everybody a-horseback. The men took their guns along, so did Buck, and kept them between their knees or stood them handy against the wall. The Shepherdsons done the same. It was pretty ornery preaching–all about brotherly love, and suck-like tiresomeness; but everyone said it was a good sermon, and they talked it over going home…”
The Grangerfords and the Shepherdsons attend church and listen to a sermon promoting “brotherly love,” but it’s ironic how the men had their guns with them at all times in case they needed to continue their feud. I find it interesting how Mark Twain used irony of the families to show his subtle satire on religion and irony of the mixture of violence and theology. It made me laugh when the two families attended the same church, leaning their guns against the walls during the sermon about “brotherly love.” The families’ following reaction about the sermon was filled with positive messages about faith and good work, which is contrary to their actions at church that gives a humorous effect. Also, I think the fact that the two families do not know why they continue to fight is ironic and amusing as a result.

CC BY-SA 4.0 “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn” Dialectic Journal Entry: Irony by Irene is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Melaina 6 months ago

Irene, your observations are exactly right!! I find it ironic that they fight about petty things and try to kill each other but preach about love at church. It’s like they’re in a whole separate world inside the church and hearing the sermon. It’s also interesting to me that they don’t even know the reason that they’re fighting.