Our class is currently reading The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain. The following is a dialectic journal entry for chapter six of the novel in which I have analyzed a passage and expressed my own insights, comments, and ideas.

Reading Notes:

April 24, 2017

Chapters 6-8

P. 21 “…and I didn’t see how I’d ever got to like it so well at the widow’s, where you had to wash, and eat on a plate, and comb up, and go to bed and get up regular, and be forever bothering over a book and have old Miss Watson pecking at you all the time. I didn’t want to go back no more.”

Comments and Questions:

I think that this passage is particularly important because it shows what Huckleberry Finn values, and gives the audience an insight into his personality. Huck talks about how he prefers living with his abusive father, as opposed to living with Miss Watson. He would rather be abused by his alcoholic Pap than follow the constant rules and expectations put onto him by Miss Watson.  This really shows how much Huck values freedom and independence, no doubt an essential part of his personality. I believe that Huck’s drive to act on his own terms and do as he pleases will be important part of the story and drive his decisions as the book continues. I also wonder if there is more of a reason why Huck prefers to live with his father, and if even though Pap is abusive, some part of Huck wants to be close to the only family he has. 

CC BY-SA 4.0 Huckleberry Finn Dialectic Journal Entry by Carmen is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Paul 7 months ago

I think this is a very good analysis. I think you reference quotes from the book that are very important to your analysis. I think you do a very good job at analyzing Huck. I think you do a very good job analyzing Huck’s past. Overall very good analysis.

2. Kristy 7 months ago

This was a great quote to pick Carmen because it says a lot about Hucks personality. I could never imagine someone choosing they would rather live with an abusive father rather than live in a nice loving home that has rules. Great quote and analysis. keep up the good work.

3. Jordan 7 months ago

Carmen,
    This quote really stood out to me as well because it’s hard to believe that someone close to our age would prefer such an awful environment to be in. But for Huck, the very proper way of life was awful for him. Huck could not relate to this higher socioeconomic class! I don’t think it was more of he wanted to be in that abusive environment, but rather he didn’t want to be with those type of people.