Chapter 5

Pg 19

“Next day he was drunk, and he went to Judge Thatcher’s and bullyragged him, and tried to make him give up the money; but he couldn’t, and then he swore he’d make the law force him.”

This is right after Huck and his father’s argument about schooling where his father ripped his book up and took his 1 dollar bill that Judge Thatcher gave him and went to town to buy whiskey. I think this is very important because it shows that his father is out of control with his alcohol problem and that he is a bad influence for Huck. His father also shows very selfish qualities where he is jealous that Huck is the first person in their family that learned to read. This quote shows diction back in the day as well where bullyragged might have been a popular word but today, it is not common for someone to use that word.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Huck-Finn Dialectic Journal by Tuan is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Onyu 7 months ago

I definitely agree with your analysis. Huck Finn’s relationship between his father wasn’t very good. You have chose very good quote, which gives good details about Pap, Huck’s father, characteristics.

2. Abinaov 7 months ago

I also wrote about Huck’s abusive father. I like how the quote you chose actually gave an example of the father’s personality. The quote I chose was more about the Judge’s opinion of the father.

3. Jason 7 months ago

The relationship and the example he sets for his son is very poor. I feel like in our school we don’t get to see this very much. It is still a big downside to society and it is something that needs to be looked for more often. All it is going to do is make the kids of the next generation follow in their father’s footsteps.

4. Cole 7 months ago

The relationship between him and his father is definitely not a good one. If this were to happen today Huck would have been taken away from his father. This just goes to show the change of time and what was accepted back then vs today.

5. Grant 7 months ago

Good analysis! I like how you recognized why Huck’s dad was mad at him for going to school, although I would urge you to push it one step further. On top of your already good analysis you can bring in outside information like what the society was like during that time period and historical events of that same period to strengthen your analysis. Good Work!