“His foot swelled up pretty big, and so did his leg; but by and by the drunk begun to come, and so I judged he was all right; but I’d druther been bit with a snake than pap’s whisky.” (48)

This purpose of this passage it to show Hucks feelings on his father and his alcoholism. It shows that Huck would rather be bitten by a rattle snake than deal with his drunken father and his whiskey. The abuse and neglect that Huck received from his father is to blame for these feelings, and for good reason. Pap’s abuse has gotten worse since he found out about the small fortune that Huck and Tom discovered, his want for this money has caused Huck to create strong feelings of contempt against him. Although his father may be aware of these feelings his Alcoholism drives him and he does not seem to care for Hucks well-being (as whiskey is more important to him). I am interested to see if Hucks feelings on his father change throughout the remainder of the story.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Huck Finn Dialectic Journal by Tyler is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.