• Ch 1, Pg 7: “I felt so lonesome I most wished I was dead. The stars was shining, and the leaves rustled in the woods ever so mournful; and I heard an owl, away off, who-whooing about somebody that was dead, and a whippowill and a dog crying about somebody that was going to die; and the wind was trying to whisper something to me and I couldn’t make out what it was, and so it made the cold shivers run over me.” -Huck
  • Reaction 
    • Huck develops loneliness, he doesn’t really have any friends other than Tom Sawyer who he feels deserted him, I think that loneliness could definitely be one of the many themes throughout the book.  

CC BY-SA 4.0 Huck Finn- 1 Dialectic Journal by Jasmine is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Lauryn 4 months ago

I agree throughout the book so far Huck has been experiencing loneliness. Just like in Chapter eight where he was sitting around the campfire he realized that he was very lonely and wanted to try to do something about it.

2. Brandon Gordon 4 months ago

I agree. I would also agree that Huck has been a pretty lonely kid his entire life. With no family structure and an abusive Dad, loneliness must be a common feeling for Huck Finn.

3. Zachary 4 months ago

Very true. Huck feels abandoned, and I think this passage of the book accurately represents that.